This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.326 / 50°19'33"N
Longitude: -3.7745 / 3°46'28"W
OS Eastings: 273786
OS Northings: 48842
OS Grid: SX737488
Mapcode National: GBR QH.7VFY
Mapcode Global: FRA 28Z5.P9Y
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99577
Location: Woodleigh, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Woodleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Woodleigh St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
WOODLEIGH VILLAGE CENTRE
SX 75 NW
Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. Basic C14 plan, rebuilt after a fire in 1649 and much
restored 1891. Slatestone with granite dressings, slate roof, clay ridges.
West tower, nave, north and south transepts, south porch, chancel. Unbuttressed
tower in 2 stages with slight offset, C19 embattled parapet on corbel table;
double chamfered arch to C19 door under 3-light C19 Perpedicular window. South
and north faces have slit in lower stage, and bell stage has shouldered louvred
light to each face. Nave south side has a C19 three-light and C14 three-light
incusped window either side of gabled porch with apex cross and slate sundial of
1707 over plain round arched doorway, to pointed inner doorway with remains of
ware mould; Good arch-braced roof with moulded purlin and central principal.
Nave has chamfered granite eaves course. South transept has 3-light round-
headed under square stopped hood mould, above which a recessed slate slab with
inscription R 1647 C, slit above; east wall has 3-light incusped to flat arch,
as nave. Chancel with lower roof line and without gable coping, has 3-light
cusped to square head; east end, with angle buttresses in 2 offsets, has 3-light
C19 Perpendicular under a stone consecration panel dated AD 1891; north side a
2-light in square head. North transept is rendered, has 1891 doorway, a 3-light
Perpendicular window, and a small cusped light set low. Nave north wall is
plain, and the building is set into the slope on this side. Stack to north
transept ridge. Interior: tower is unplastered, heavy unmoulded arch to nave
which is on a tiled floor with plain walls, hollow mould rere-arches to windows,
C19 ceiled barrel roof. Low, unmoulded pointed arch to south transept on wood
block floor, C19 barrel roof, plain walls; north transept through higher plain
arch, part tiled floor, barrel ceiling, granite segmental arch to door to east.
Chancel, up one step, on tiles, plain walls, pointed ceiled barrel; 4 marble
steps to altar with dossal. Fittings and monuments: octagonal Transitional
font bowl in granite, two pointed sunk panels to each face; C19 benches, Eagle
lectern, pulpit and granite base, 5 wall monument, 7 suspended oil lamps. South
transept has good early C20 carved wooden altar. In chancel a C19 piscina, but
C14 Easter Sepulchre serving as enclosure to monument to Sir Thomas Smyth,
Rector, 1492-1527. Tomb chest in ogee-arched recess, figures of St Peter and St
Paul below four mutilated figures; scroll with abbreviated Latin inscription.
Altar is flanked by Decalogue painted on ogee-headed panels in good C19 detail;
also a faience painted panel in alabaster surround, 1898, to Zoe Irene Suther-
land Sands. Gothick white marble tablet of 1850; suspended oil lamps, but
electricity also fitted. (Pevsner, N; South Devon 1952; Slader,J M;
The Churches of Devon; 1968).
Listing NGR: SX7378648842
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings