This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3899 / 50°23'23"N
Longitude: -3.6664 / 3°39'59"W
OS Eastings: 281638
OS Northings: 55774
OS Grid: SX816557
Mapcode National: GBR QM.WZPD
Mapcode Global: FRA 3860.HG7
Entry Name: Tuckenhay Mill
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100997
Location: Ashprington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Ashprington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Cornworthy St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
6/87 Tuckenhay Mill
Paper mill, converted to house. Circa 1829 converted to house in late C20.
Slate rubble, colourwashed on north east side with boarded first floor and
partly slate-hung on south west side. Grouted scantle slate hipped roof.
Plan: L-shaped on plan main ranges with a cellar under the north west end.
Single storey wing on the south west corner.
Exterior: 3 storeys over a cellar at north west end where the ground is at
lower level. The top (second) storey was originally open-sided with posts
and wooden louvres or slats between; it is partly still open-sided and the
first floor accommodation is set back inside forming a loggia. the stone
north west end wall rises up to the eaves and has 2 blocked round-headed
cellar doors with 2 basket arch openings on the ground floor and similar
but blocked openings on first floor; 4 rectangular openings on the second
floor, the centre 2 blocked. The north east side has wide elliptically
arched cellar doorway to the right and a regular 6-window range of C20
casements with glazing bars on the ground and first floors; above the
second floor originally open for ventilation with wooden vertical slats and
now with some small late C20 aluminium sliding windows. Similarly slatted
top floor of east wing to left with a later Cl9 2-storey lean-to addition
in the angle with a vertically boarded front and a slate monopitch roof.
At the north east end of the wing and ground floor a wide vehicular
entrance with a timber lintel and late C20 aluminium window in vertically
boarded storey above. The north west side of the main range is slate hung
on ground and first floors and has late C20 casements with a late C20
timber balcony. Above the second floor is open with timber posts and some
of the bays with vertical slats. To the right a low single storey wing
with a hipped slate roof and late C20 casements.
Interior: not inspected.
Note: The paper mill is said to have begun work in 1829 (Hoskins). It
produced high quality hand-made paper and was the only surviving 'vat\mill
Source: W H Hoskins, Devon (published 1954), page 322 (under Ashprington
Listing NGR: SX8163855774
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings