This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9463 / 52°56'46"N
Longitude: -1.5751 / 1°34'30"W
OS Eastings: 428645
OS Northings: 338854
OS Grid: SK286388
Mapcode National: GBR 5C6.BL1
Mapcode Global: WHCFM.S63M
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78909
Location: Kirk Langley, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Kirk Langley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Kirk Langley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 23 NE
PARISH OF KIRK LANGLEY
CHURCH LANE (south side)
Church of St Michael
Parish church. Early C14, late C14, C16, restoration 1839 and 1885 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed squared sandstone, sandstone ashlar, with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs, stone coped gables. West tower, aisled nave, south vestry and chancel.
West tower of two stages divided by a chamfered string course. Angle buttresses linked to the battlemented parapet by pilaster strips. Chamfered plinth. South side has a single lancet with triangular head, to the west side a C19 doorway and a two-light Decorated window above with cusped ogee lights and hoodmould with head stops. The north side has a small lancet as on the south side and a clock face below. Two-light bell openings, early C14, with a transom, on all four sides.
The north aisle has a C19 lancet in the west wall. Diagonal buttresses. On the north side are five windows with Y-tracery, the second from the west is C19, replacing a doorway visible from within. A buttress after the third window. Clerestory of three plain two-light chamfered mullion windows under flat heads. Aedicule wall tablet with fluted half columns, to George Hodgkinson, died 1804. Three-light east window with bar tracery. The north side of the chancel has a C19 window with Y-tracery, a buttress, a window with Y-tracery, priest's doorway with roll moulding and hoodmould, a C19 lancet and a blocked doorway with a slate headstone set in. C19 east window of four-lights with bar tracery. Blind quatrefoil above.
The south side of the chancel has three windows with Y-tracery, the outer ones larger and C19. South aisle east window of three Tudor-arched lights with a transom and the remains of a hoodmould with headstops relating to an earlier window. The south side has a two-light window with a reticulation unit, and beyond the vestry two more, probably C19, windows with Y-tracery. The west window of two Tudor arched lights within a square hood. Gabled vestry in battlemented Tudor style, according to a faculty, built in 1889. Cusped three-light window to south under a Tudor arch. Two-light window to east and a doorway to west. Octagonal chimney stack at the south east corner. The vestry and south aisle have diagonal buttresses. Clerestory as on the north side.
INTERIOR: three bay arcades with octagonal piers and abaci, and double chamfered arches. Double-chamfered tower arch, the inner order on corbels. Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the chancel, triple sedilia and piscina. C19 aumbry. Carved alabaster reredos with angels under crocketed gables. Squints on either side from the aisles.
MONUMENTS: Godfrey Meynell (chancel north) died 1854, A Gothic aedicule. Plain C17 and C18 inscribed tablets built into the north wall and one free-standing on the south side. One has a brass plate dated 1705. In the north chapel an incised slab to Alice Beresford, died 1511. In the south aisle, a tomb chest to Henry Role and wife, died 1559. Tablet to Charles Wilmot, died 1724, with scrolled pediment. Various C19 tablets, some signed by Hall of Derby.
C19 parclose screen in south aisle, also in north aisle, incorporating medieval work. Rood screen by Bodley & Garner. Brass eagle of c1884. Plain octagonal font on a C19 base. C17 font cover. Choir stalls and organ case probably by Bodley & Garner. C18 communion rail. Flemish stained glass dated 1631, in the south aisle east window. Possibly C14 tower screen with simple geometrical tracery, moved from the chancel.
Listing NGR: SK2864538851
Other nearby listed buildings