This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.069 / 53°4'8"N
Longitude: -1.4202 / 1°25'12"W
OS Eastings: 438948
OS Northings: 352575
OS Grid: SK389525
Mapcode National: GBR 6C6.MR3
Mapcode Global: WHDG8.44Z2
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 13 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78733
Location: Pentrich, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE5
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Pentrich
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Pentrich St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 35 SE
PARISH OF PENTRICH
Church of St Matthew
Anglican Church. C12 with extensive remodelling and additions in late C14 and early C15, and restored in 1859. Coursed rubble sandstone with ashlar gritstone dressings and ashlar gritstone to later additions. Leaded roof coverings with coped gables. West tower; nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, south aisle porch, chancel and vestry.
Square C12 tower, raised and re-quoined in C14, rising off a shallow plinth, with angle buttresses with set-offs added. Three stage tower, with ashlar crenellations to parapet. Two-light Perpendicular bell stage windows with ogee heads to lights below a flat lintel, slit windows to first and second stages. Perpendicular porch with raking crenellations to gable, above a moulded string. Stepped chamfered archway to door with hoodmould and stops, and with a trefoil headed niche above, with C20 statuary. Two-light chamfer mullioned window to east wall.
South aisle, with shallow stepped buttresses between windows a two- and a three-light ogee leaded window beneath a flat lintel. Diagonal buttress to south east corner, and two-light window matching side wall openings to east end. Crenellated parapet above moulded string to clerestory, with five two-light windows, with recessed chamfer mullions with cinquefoil heads to lights, beneath a continuous string course delineating parapet which drops down as a hoodmould pendant finials to define the opening.
Chancel south wall with two three-light windows beneath segmental heads flanking elaborate ogee-headed hood to four-centred arched doorway with moulded surround. Stepped diagonal buttress to corner. East window of five-lights, beneath depressed pointed arch. C19 vestry to chancel north wall with chamfered pointed arched doorway beneath hoodmould at east end. North aisle windows of two- and three-lights in earlier rubble masonry with ogee headed lights within flat headed surrounds, beneath chamfered eaves band. Doorway with quoined surround beneath hoodmould with stops. Smaller two-light window to west end.
INTERIOR: single-chamfer, pointed tower arch. Five bay nave arcades, with circular piers and simply moulded circular capitals of two designs, with water holding mould to bases, standing on square pads. Simple hoodmould to semicircular chamfered arcade arches. South aisle terminates at a respond in the chancel wall, the north arcade at an impost. Pointed chancel arch rises from semicircular imposts of earlier chancel arch, with double chamfer. Romanesque font with arcade moulding to rim, on pedestal dated 1662. Window to chancel north wall with three-light painted glass window by C.W Whall, c.1915. East end of south aisle has painted glass by Morris and Company. Wall monuments to chancel north wall to Edward Horn d.1764, and Madam Mower d.1776.
Listing NGR: SK3894852575
Other nearby listed buildings