This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9718 / 52°58'18"N
Longitude: -1.6755 / 1°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 421887
OS Northings: 341656
OS Grid: SK218416
Mapcode National: GBR 5BP.P74
Mapcode Global: WHCFD.7KDL
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81431
Location: Shirley, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Shirley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Shirley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 24 SW PARISH OF SHIRLEY CHURCH LANE
5/90 (East Side)
13.9.67 Church of St Michael
Parish Church. C14, 1842 and 1861. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone
dressings. Lead roofs with stone coped gables, plain coped parapets to aisles,
porch with plain and fishscale tile roof. West tower, aisled nave and chancel,
west tower of three stages divided by chamfered string courses. Angle buttresses,
battlements and pinnacles, west window of two trefoil headed lancets. 2-light
window above with cusped Y-tracery, similar 2-light bell-openings to each face.
The tower is said to have been rebuilt in 1861. North aisle of 1842 with 2-light
Dec style windows with hoodmoulds,one each to east and west and two to the north
side. Angle buttresses. Reset in the east wall a carved C12 stone with beasts
and birds, perhaps from a lintel. The south aisle is genuine C14, with a 3-light
east window, with three lancets rising to a pair of intersecting ogees and rising
again to enclose an elongated quatrefoil 2-light west window with cusped Y-tracery.
Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. To the right a 2-light window with
a distorted quatrefoil. The south aisle has angle buttresse C14 chancel with
diagonal buttresses, blind north wall, and a segmental pointed-arched east window
of three cusped lancet lights. Hoodmould with head stops. The south side has two
2-light windows with segmental pointed arches and crude cusped lights. Hoodmoulds
on head stops. Between them, a C13 priest's door with chamfer and continuous roll
moulding. Hoodmould on head stops.Studded plank door The chancel and aisle
windows are deeply set within a broad chamfer. South doorway with a chamfer and a
roll moulding. Two bay south arcade with an octagonal pier and double chamfered
arches dying into the imposts. Two bay north arcade with octagonal pier and
semi-octagonal responds.Double chamfered arches. Double chamfered chancel arch
without capitals. Box pews in nave and aisles with simple Gothic tracery in the
panelled ends. Open Gothic arcaded West gallery on two slender iron columns.
Pews and gallery probably of 1842. Monuments, in the north aisle a plain tablet to
Arthur Shevington c1850 by Hall of Derby. Oval tablet to William Pegge c1768.
Large tripartile Gothic memorial with texts under crocketed ogee canopies c1847
by Hall. Tablet in the chancel to Frederick Corfield c1883 by R Drake of
Nottingham. Honora Michell c1864 by Hall. In the south wall of the chancel a
trefoil-arched piscina. Three identical tablets in the south aisle c1850 by Hall.
The south aisle has a dado made from Jacobean panelling dated 1649. Trefoil
headed piscina in the south aisle. Font, octagonal with shields and tracery
motifs. In the chancel floor a late medieval incised slab to a priest.
Listing NGR: SK2188741656
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings