History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and St Barlok

A Grade I Listed Building in Norbury and Roston, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9788 / 52°58'43"N

Longitude: -1.8145 / 1°48'52"W

OS Eastings: 412549

OS Northings: 342395

OS Grid: SK125423

Mapcode National: GBR 495.B1D

Mapcode Global: WHCFB.3D68

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Barlok

Listing Date: 13 September 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81301

Location: Norbury and Roston, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Norbury and Roston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Norbury St Mary and St Barlock

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Ellastone

Listing Text

SK 14 SW PARISH OF NORBURY AND ROSTON NORBURY HOLLOW
1/71 (North Side)
13.9.67 Church of St Mary and St
Barlok
GV I

Parish church. C12, early C14, mid C15, restored 1841 and 1899. Ashlar sandstone
with leaded roofs. Chancel and tower have plinths with moulded copings, and all
south elevation has moulded stringcourses at eaves level with castellated parapets
over, those to the chancel of odd wavy design and those to nave and chapels with
ridgeback copings, whilst tower has simple chamfered castellations, Cl5 three bay
clerestoried nave, aisled to north and with early Cl5 two stage tower to centre
of south side flanked by Cl5 chapels, and large four bay early C14 chancel. West
elevation has stepped buttresses to corners of nave aisle and chapel, and a central
segment headed, cusped 3-light window with hoodmould ever carved with flowers.
North aisle has similar but taller and more pointed 3-light window, whilst south
chapel wall is blank. Above to nave another cusped 3-light window with segment
head and cambered, coped parapet over. North elevation of nave aisle has three
four-centred arched, cusped 3-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved label-stops,
plus stepped buttresses between and to corners of aisle. Also, to centre a blocked,
chamfered four-centred arched doorcase. Above Perp clerestory with four 3-light flat
headed windows with cusped lights and carved labelstops to hoodmoulds over. East end
of aisle has similar 3-light window to those on north side. Beyond to east early
C14 chancel has four, chamfered 3-light pointed windows with hoodmoulds and
extraordinary intersecting and reticulated tracery with stylised flowers at meeting
point of ribs near tops. Between windows and to either end,thin, deep buttresses
with small pinnacles to tops. The windows have a continuous sill band below and
above is a moulded stringcourse. East window similar to northern ones except it
has a moulded edge and it is 5-light with three incongruous uprights. Eastern
corners of chancel have gableted angle buttresses. South chancel elevation similar
to north one except for small wavy headed doorcase, with elaborate foliage type
ironwork to door, below second window from east. To west south-east chapel has
similar cusped 3-light segment headed window as on west wall of nave. Similar
window to south side of chapel between stepped buttresses, and to south in south-west
chapel. Central two stage tower between has stepped full height buttresses to
three sides, set some distance in from the corners. South front has pointed,
moulded doorcase with returned hood and above a small ogee headed niche. Above
again a small ogee headed lancet partly covered to top by clockface. 2-light,
louvred cusped Y-tracery bell opening in four-centred arched deep recess above,
to all sides. Moulded stringcourse with central gargoyles and embattled parapets
with corner pinnacles above. To either side of tower clerestory has single 3-light
flat headed windows with cusped lights, incised spandrels and returned hoodmould
with carved labelstops. Interior has four bay, Cl5 north arcade with octagonal
piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches; single arches through to
southern chapels have similar arches and capitals on polygonal responds. Central
doorcase into tower has four-centred arched head and is deeply moulded to south side,
to west is a small pointed doorcase to staircase. Nave and chancel roofs, Perp
with moulded tie beams and central bosses with small ribs. between also with
carved bosses. Aisle roof C19 copy. Chancel is particularly fine, the north and
south windows have pointed blind arcading below, similar stylised flowers in same
position on the tracery as on exterior and between the windows are thin triangular
sectioned pilasters which finish to top in moulded corbels, possibly suggesting
a stone vault was intended. The east wall has C19 cusped wooden panelling below the
windows and C20 stone altar to front. To south wall is an original piscina with
two small corbelled out bowls set in small niche. West end of chancel has C19 rood
screen but no chancel arch. Choir stalls have foliage poppy heads and arcaded
Perp panelling to fronts, much restored. Two excellent alabaster table tombs to
centre of chancel, one to Nicholas Fitzherbert who died 1473 and one to Ralph and
Elizabeth Fitzherbert who died 1483 and 1491. Both have mourning figures to
sides,set in crocketed ogee.headed niches with crocketed pilasters between, and
both have the knights in armour with their feet on lions, although there is an
extra little figure holding a rosary on the back of Ralph Fitzherbert's lion. The
double tomb also has angels holding shields to west side. The floor of the chancel
also has several monuments including marble slab with incised figure in a shroud
and latin inscription to edge, and a similar one with figure of a priest under an
ogee headed arch. To centre of the floor there is a mid C16 family slab with brass
plates of donors, their daughters and an inscription. There are also several
mid C18 slate slabs and one of 1653 to Anne Fitzherbert. All chancel windows
have large quantity of early C14 glass, the side windows have lozenge patterned
glass incorporating stained glass shields, whilst east window,which has been
restored,has coats of arms to top and panels with figures of saints etc set in
plain glass surrounds. South-east chapel also has two fine stained glass windows
depicting donors with their coats of arms under architectural canopies, both C15.
This chapel also has a small Cl5 cusped piscina to south wall and an early C14 table
tomb of Henry Fitzherbert. Pulpit to north in the nave is C19, and font to west
is C14 with circular bowl on keeled shafts. The nave also contains two C9 cross
shafts with interlace carving and two table tombs, one of sandstone, the other
of marble to a Fitzherbert. The west window also has a fragment of C16 stained
glass. North aisle has another cusped piscina to east side, and several wall
memorials to north side including two good classical ones, of 1742 to Thomas Bowyer
and 1785 to Simon and Elizabeth Bowyer.


Listing NGR: SK1254642395

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SK 14 SW
1/71

PARISH OF NORBURY AND ROSTON
NORBURY HOLLOW (north side)
Church of St Mary and St Barlok

13.9.67

GV
I
Parish church. C12, early C14, mid C15, restored 1841 and 1899. Ashlar sandstone with leaded roofs. Chancel and tower have plinths with moulded copings, and all south elevation has moulded stringcourses at eaves level with castellated parapets over, those to the chancel of odd wavy design and those to nave and chapels with ridgeback copings, whilst tower has simple chamfered castellations, C15 three bay clerestoried nave, aisled to north and with early C15 two stage tower to centre of south side flanked by C15 chapels, and large four bay early C14 chancel.

West elevation has stepped buttresses to corners of nave aisle and chapel, and a central segment headed, cusped three-light window with hoodmould ever carved with flowers. North aisle has similar but taller and more pointed three-light window, whilst south chapel wall is blank. Above to nave another cusped three-light window with segment head and cambered, coped parapet over. North elevation of nave aisle has three four-centred arched, cusped three-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved label-stops, plus stepped buttresses between and to corners of aisle. Also, to centre a blocked, chamfered four-centred arched doorcase. Above Perpendicular clerestory with four three-light flat headed windows with cusped lights and carved labelstops to hoodmoulds over. East end of aisle has similar three-light window to those on north side.

Beyond to east early C14 chancel has four, chamfered three-light pointed windows with hoodmoulds and extraordinary intersecting and reticulated tracery with stylised flowers at meeting point of ribs near tops. Between windows and to either end, thin, deep buttresses with small pinnacles to tops. The windows have a continuous sill band below and above is a moulded stringcourse. East window similar to northern ones except it has a moulded edge and it is five-light with three incongruous uprights. Eastern corners of chancel have gableted angle buttresses. South chancel elevation similar to north one except for small wavy headed doorcase, with elaborate foliage type ironwork to door, below second window from east.

To west south east chapel has similar cusped three-light segment headed window as on west wall of nave. Similar window to south side of chapel between stepped buttresses, and to south in south west chapel. Central two stage tower between has stepped full height buttresses to three sides, set some distance in from the corners. South front has pointed, moulded doorcase with returned hood and above a small ogee headed niche. Above again a small ogee headed lancet partly covered to top by clockface. Two-light, louvred cusped Y-tracery bell opening in four-centred arched deep recess above, to all sides. Moulded stringcourse with central gargoyles and embattled parapets with corner pinnacles above.

To either side of tower clerestory has single three-light flat headed windows with cusped lights, incised spandrels and returned hoodmould with carved labelstops.

Interior has four bay C15 north arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches; single arches through to southern chapels have similar arches and capitals on polygonal responds. Central doorcase into tower has four-centred arched head and is deeply moulded to south side, to west is a small pointed doorcase to staircase. Nave and chancel roofs, Perpendicular with moulded tie beams and central bosses with small ribs between also with carved bosses. Aisle roof C19 copy.

Chancel is particularly fine, the north and south windows have pointed blind arcading below, similar stylised flowers in same position on the tracery as on exterior and between the windows are thin triangular sectioned pilasters which finish to top in moulded corbels, possibly suggesting a stone vault was intended. The east wall has C19 cusped wooden panelling below the windows and C20 stone altar to front. To south wall is an original piscina with two small corbelled out bowls set in small niche. West end of chancel has C19 rood screen but no chancel arch. Choir stalls have foliage poppy heads and arcaded Perpendicular panelling to fronts, much restored.

Two excellent alabaster table tombs to centre of chancel, one to Nicholas Fitzherbert who died 1473 and one to Ralph and Elizabeth Fitzherbert who died 1483 and 1491. Both have mourning figures to sides, set in crocketed ogee headed niches with crocketed pilasters between, and both have the knights in armour with their feet on lions, although there is an extra little figure holding a rosary on the back of Ralph Fitzherbert's lion. The double tomb also has angels holding shields to west side.

The floor of the chancel also has several monuments including marble slab with incised figure in a shroud and Latin inscription to edge, and a similar one with figure of a priest under an ogee headed arch. To centre of the floor there is a mid C16 family slab with brass plates of donors, their daughters and an inscription. There are also several mid C18 slate slabs and one of 1653 to Anne Fitzherbert.

All chancel windows have large quantity of early C14 glass, the side windows have lozenge patterned glass incorporating stained glass shields, whilst east window, which has been restored, has coats of arms to top and panels with figures of saints etc set in plain glass surrounds. South east chapel also has two fine stained glass windows depicting donors with their coats of arms under architectural canopies, both C15.

This chapel also has a small C15 cusped piscina to south wall and an early C14 table tomb of Henry Fitzherbert. Pulpit to north in the nave is C19, and font to west is C14 with circular bowl on keeled shafts. The nave also contains two C9 cross shafts with interlace carving and two table tombs, one of sandstone, the other of marble to a Fitzherbert. The west window also has a fragment of C16 stained glass. North aisle has another cusped piscina to east side, and several wall memorials to north side including two good classical ones, of 1742 to Thomas Bowyer and 1785 to Simon and Elizabeth Bowyer.

Listing NGR: SK1254642395

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.