This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1556 / 53°9'20"N
Longitude: -1.6488 / 1°38'55"W
OS Eastings: 423579
OS Northings: 362106
OS Grid: SK235621
Mapcode National: GBR 58L.3YG
Mapcode Global: WHCDF.NY17
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Last Amended: 14 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81003
Location: Birchover, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Birchover
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Birchover St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 26 SW
PARISH OF BIRCHOVER
ROWTOR LANE (south side)
Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, St Michael and All Angels
(Formerly listed as Church of St Michael)
Parish church. c1717, partly rebuilt c1869 and chancel added, various C20 alterations. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins, plinth and moulded sill bands. Plain tile roofs with moulded stone coped gables and ridge crosses at east gables of chancel and nave. Partly corbelled out octagonal bellcote to nave, west gable with pointed arches to four sides, moulded sill band and stringcourse, topped by spirelet. West porch, nave and lower chancel.
West porch has ovolo moulded basket arched doorcase to south with egg and dart moulding to top, various carvings to side and C20 studded wooden door. Blank north elevation. Three-light intersecting traceried east window with central quatrefoil to top, and bold plain hoodmould. South elevation, to nave, has three, moulded two-light windows of c1717 which were then changed to Y-tracery pointed windows in 1869.
Interior has pointed chamfered doorcase to nave with dogtooth decoration and wide chamfered chancel arch, curved wooden roof on pillar corbels and C19 pews with later carved poppyheads added. Octagonal, marble font, probably C20. Pulpit very ornately carved wood by former rector, dated 1949. Also two wooden charity boards of 1773. Wall memorial in marble to John Gresley of 1795. Windows to south have C20 stained glass by Brian Clarke.
Listing NGR: SK2357962106
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings