This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2438 / 53°14'37"N
Longitude: -1.7014 / 1°42'5"W
OS Eastings: 420021
OS Northings: 371910
OS Grid: SK200719
Mapcode National: GBR JZKX.FW
Mapcode Global: WHCD0.TQZK
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 12 July 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1109899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80913
Location: Great Longstone, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Great Longstone
Built-Up Area: Great Longstone
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Longstone St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 27 SW
PARISH OF GREAT LONGSTONE
CHURCH LANE (west side)
Church of St Giles
Church. C13, C14, C16 and 1871-73 by Richard Norman Shaw. Rubble limestone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Lead roofs with coped gables and plain parapets. Stone slate roof to porch. West tower, nave with aisles and south porch, and chancel.
Tower of three stages with low attached building to north, the stages divided by a chamfer and string course. West face has a trefoiled ogee lancet and two-light Perpendicular bell-openings. The south face has a two-light recessed and chamfered mullioned bell opening at the top of the second stage and a similar two-light opening immediately above. Single light opening above, obscured by a clock face. North face has a similar two-light opening and single light above. East face has a single light opening and a clock face. Crenellated parapet and four crocketed pinnacles. The tower top was rebuilt in 1872-73.
Nave and clerestory have plain round-headed windows of C16 or C17 type. The clerestory has five pairs and the south aisle has a two-light, a four-light and a two-light. The north aisle has two single and a pair of C13 lancets. Gabled south porch with C13 porch entrance with double chamfered arch, chamfered responds and moulded imposts. Single chamfered south door with hoodmould.
Chancel has, to south, a low priest's doorway flanked on each side by deeply set two-light windows under flat heads. Cusped ogee tracery. One similar window to north. Five-light east window with panel tracery. The chancel windows and north vestry are by Norman Shaw.
INTERIOR has six-bay arcades with octagonal piers and abaci and double-chamfered arches. Similar C19 chancel arch with nailhead in the abaci. Double-chamfered tower arch dying into the imposts. Excellently preserved C15 or early C16 roofs in nave, aisles and chancel. Nave and chancel have common-rafter roofs with arched braces. Moulded principal rafters and purlins with carved bosses at the intersections. Lean-to aisle roofs also with moulded beams and bosses. Perpendicular parclose screen in the south aisle.
Pews, choir stalls, organ case, all by Shaw. Marble pulpit, octagonal font with cover, also by Shaw. Stained glass, east window 1873 and north aisle windows by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Three windows in the south aisle dated 1897, 1908 and 1907 designed by Shaw and executed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Another south aisle window dated 1887. Brass to Rowland Eyre 1624 in South Chapel. Brass eagle lectern dated 1892. In the nave are two hatchments either side of the chancel arch and three more over the tower arch. At the west end of the south aisle are two charity boards dated 1838.
Listing NGR: SK2002171910
Other nearby listed buildings