This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9504 / 50°57'1"N
Longitude: -2.5052 / 2°30'18"W
OS Eastings: 364606
OS Northings: 116900
OS Grid: ST646169
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NH3H
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.RT9
Entry Name: Castleton Mill
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104194
Location: Sherborne, Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
2/450 (East Side, off)
II Castleton Mill
Water pumping mill. 1869 by John Lawson (of Westminster) for Sherborne Local Board of
Health; extended and wheel replaced 1898; late C20 alterations. Coursed rock-
faced stone; roof of Spanish slates (replacing Welsh slates). Single storey. 1 x 2
bays, the front bay added 1898; wheel-chamber at rear, the wheel fed by 3 leats all at
different levels. Chamfered plinth. Round-arched windows with chamfered sills and
small-pane glazing. Gable front has segment-arched doorway on left with diagonally-
boarded double door; window on right; raised verge with shaped kneelers and coping with
roll-moulded apex. Right return: projecting wheel: at eaves, to left of this, stack
with gabled base. Rear: 2 windows boarded up; below right window arched pipe for
leading water to wheel (the middle-most feed). Left return: window to right;
projecting attached stone wall at centre not of special interest; on left, opening for
lower-most water-feed: above it an iron pentrough projects from the wall, formerly
carrying water to wheel at highest feed-level.
Interior: front bay has encaustic tile floor and pit for former pumps. Wheel chamber
retains the 1893 39" pitch-back water-wheel made by Edward White of Redditch; it is 26'
in diameter, has a perimeter drive (gearing now removed) and drove three vertical drive
pumps. The original water tank and launder, cast by Sothert and Pitt of Bath, survive,
as also the winding gear to open up and shut off the water supply.
The water wheel is unusually large and a rare survival; and the complex planning of the
feed system (taking into account 3 different sources of water and the nearby railway)
is of interest. The mill was designed to pump water to Sherborne, but was unable to
meet demand and was first supplemented by a turbine-powered pump-house built nearby (in
1874), and then itself extended 1898).
K. Falconer England's Industrial Heritage p.91
Listing NGR: ST6460616900
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings