This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9467 / 50°56'48"N
Longitude: -2.5168 / 2°31'0"W
OS Eastings: 363792
OS Northings: 116489
OS Grid: ST637164
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NL5Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TKD
Entry Name: Abbey Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103812
Location: Sherborne, Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/12/2017
Abbey Church of St Mary
Saxon west wall below clerestory with foundations of Saxon tower and transepts facing west. C15 Church of All Hallows built against this wall; lower part of north-aisle wall remains as a boundary wall between Sherborne School and Abbey Close. South front of Abbey early C12 (work of Roger of Caen) and C15. Central Tower with Saxon-Norman base and C15 work above.
Nave: five irregular bays; piers with C15 casing to a Saxon core. Late C15 fan vaulting. North aisle: C12 and late C15; lierne vault. North transept: Norman walls.
Wykeham Chapel: Norman walls and C15 vault. Choir of three bays and north and south choir aisles: C15. Reredos: C17 to design of R.H Carpenter. Bishop Roger's Chapel: C13. Vestry: C16, part of former headmaster's house  which extended across the whole of the width of the east end of the Abbey. Lady Chapel: one bay of C14 work and one bay further east of C20 work, 1921, to design of W.D Caröe. Chapel of St Mary le Bow: C15 and C16; east wall and south windows built 1560 as part of Headmaster's House [See Vestry]. Chapel of Holy Sepulchre: C14 and C15 rebuildings. South transept: early C12 and C15 work; Digby Memorial. St Katharine's Chapel: C12, and C13 and C14. South Aisle: early C12 and C15. Porch: early C12, restored 1849-58. 1849-58: restoration of transepts, choir and Norman porch by R.C Carpenter and W Slater. 1884: restoration of tower by R.H Carpenter.
All the listed buildings in Abbey Close form a group with the east end of No. 1 Finger Lane.
Listing NGR: ST6380416492
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings