This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9459 / 50°56'45"N
Longitude: -2.5171 / 2°31'1"W
OS Eastings: 363769
OS Northings: 116405
OS Grid: ST637164
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NL40
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TFW
Entry Name: Hospital of Saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103816
Location: Sherborne, Dorset, Dorset, DT9
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Hospital of Saints
John the Baptist and
John the Evangelist
ST 6316 1/2 28.11.50.
Founded 1437 for 12 poor men and 4 poor women. Building completed 1448.
This appears to have been L-shaped, the main range having a frontage to
Trendle Street. The East wing, providing additional accommodation, new
Board Room with oriel window, and Cloister was built in 1866 according
to a design by William Slater on ground presented the previous year. The
East end of the Trendle Street range contains the Chapel with Perpendicular
windows to South and East the former containing C15 glass. A stone arch
and carved oak screen separate the chapel from the ante-chapel. The alter-
piece is a triptych in oils on oak panel and is of very great interest,
being C15 and probably Flemish. The western part of the range is 2-storey,
containing Ante-chapel and Dining Hall below and Dormitories and the old
Board-Room above. The open timber roof is visible in the upper rooms.
Trendle Street front has entrance to Ante-Chapel (original main entrance)
with pointed arch and carved spandrels. This is flanked by niches with
ogee heads and crockets.
All the listed buildings in Abbey Close form a group with the east end
of No 1 Finger Lane.
Also forms a group with Premises occupied by Mr Hunt, Digby Estate Nos
170 and 171 and Cottages known as Nos 4 and 2 Trendle Street and with the
former Church House and Public Weighbridge House, Half Moon Street.
Listing NGR: ST6377316420
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings