This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7423 / 51°44'32"N
Longitude: 0.3106 / 0°18'38"E
OS Eastings: 559626
OS Northings: 207370
OS Grid: TL596073
Mapcode National: GBR NHT.MCR
Mapcode Global: VHHMJ.BGLP
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Christopher Willingale Doe
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118523
Location: Willingale, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
Civil Parish: Willingale
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Willingale St Christopher with Shellow and Berners Roding
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 50 NE WILLINGALE VILLAGE STREET,
5/114 Parish Church of
20.2.67 St. Christopher
Parish Church, chancel and nave late C14, tower and porch mid C15, north aisle
added and rest substantially restored in C19. Walling is of flint rubble with
fragments of free stone and Roman bricks, with limestone and clunch dressings.
Nave and chancel roofs are gabled in peg tiles. Chancel has C19 east window
but with C15 rear arch and label. North and south walls each have 2 late C14
windows restored. On south wall is a C14 doorway almost entirely reconstructed.
Late C14 chancel arch with 2 hollow chamfered orders and moulded capitals.
The nave has C19 north arcade. In the south wall are 3 late C14 style windows
each of 2 lights and the original, late C14 south doorway with moulded jambs,
a 2-centred arch and C19 label. The west tower is of 3 stages with an
embattled parapet. The bell chamber has 2 light C19 windows on west, south
and north faces. The tower arch is of 2 orders, the inner hollow chamfered
and continuous, the outer moulded and interrupted by moulded capitals and bases
on each respond. Roof of nave has crownposts with straight bracing now encased.
Chancel has a moulded wallplate of C14/C15. South porch is C19 rebuilding of
timber and brick structure incorporating simple old crownpost tiebeam and arch
braces. This now has turned baluster like mullions. C15 stone font, octagonal
with each face having quatrefoils inscribed in circle and blank shields.
Monument in chancel to Robert Wiseman 1641, Richard Wiseman, 1618, and Mary,
his wife, 1635. Elaborate of allabaster and marble with 3 Corinthian columns
standing on lions head corbels, supporting entablatures and coffered semi-
circular vaults. Reclining effigy of man in plate armour on shelf. Smaller
kneeling figures in civil costume of man and wife. The Wisemans owned Torrells
Hall (item 6/3). Also in chancel, wall monument to Johannes Salter 1744, and
in nave, to Winifred Barrington of marble with cupids. Included for
Architectural, Historic Landscape and group value. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL5962607370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings