This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0981 / 53°5'52"N
Longitude: -1.5856 / 1°35'8"W
OS Eastings: 427843
OS Northings: 355730
OS Grid: SK278557
Mapcode National: GBR 598.MYL
Mapcode Global: WHCDV.MD49
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 23 January 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79718
Location: Middleton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Middleton
Built-Up Area: Middleton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Middleton-by-Wirksworth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Derby
812/3/108 MAIN STREET
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
The Church of the Holy Trinity by Newton was constructed in c.1844 with a single storey vestry to the west added in c.1925.
It is built of coursed ashlar stone and consists of a nave and a chancel under one gabled roof covered with concrete tiles.
All elevations have a castellated parapet with string course beneath, a projecting plinth at mid-height and buttresses to all corners. There are large rectangular, tripartite principal windows on all elevations with geometric tracery and drip mouldings, all with diamond leaded lights apart from the east end which has contemporary stained glass. The vestry on the west elevation obscures the original door to the church. It has a central arched door opening with coped pediment incorporating a simple stone crucifix finial. The central window to the nave has slender flanking niches and a clock above. A bellcote surmounts the roof at the west apex. At ground floor level on the south elevation is a smaller tripartite window and pointed arched door. On the north elevation, the door is replaced by a window. The chancel window is the focus of the east elevation.
The interior was not inspected, but photographic and documentary sources indicate that the roof structure comprises six queen post trusses with tie beams, wall posts and brackets and two purlins to each pitch. The chancel has a central altar flanked by a small lady chapel to the south, surrounded by a timber screen, and organ to the north. The screen between the chancel and nave has geometric detailing. The nave retains its pews.
Middleton-by-Wirksworth is a hilltop mining and quarrying village in the Peak District, surrounded by the scars of industry. The church lies to the south of the village core in a prominent position and is surrounded by a small graveyard. The OS maps of the late C19 and early C20 indicate that the building was unaltered until a single storey vestry was added to the west in c. 1925.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The Church of the Holy Trinity, Middleton is re-graded at grade II for the following principal reasons.
* It demonstrates craftsmanship in the use of materials.
* It has pleasing details, notably the castellated parapet, well-executed window treatment and bellcote.
* It is comparable in architectural quality to other examples in the county listed at grade II.
* It is largely intact.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings