History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brook Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Oakley, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8996 / 51°53'58"N

Longitude: 1.1763 / 1°10'34"E

OS Eastings: 618616

OS Northings: 227105

OS Grid: TM186271

Mapcode National: GBR VQZ.XWM

Mapcode Global: VHLCL.BJQ4

Entry Name: Brook Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112137

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120281

Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Great Oakley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

TM 1827-1927 (north side)

7/39 Brook Farmhouse

- II

House. C16, extended in early C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays facing E, with internal stack in rear part
of right bay, and 2-bay crosswing to right. 3-bay rear wing behind stack,
forming a T-plan. Early CL9 brick extension with slate roof in rear right
angle, and C20 lean-to conservatory to rear. Large C20 extension to right. 2
storeys. Ground floor, 4 C20 casements. First floor, one C20 casement, and 2
more in gabled dormers. 6-panel door in fluted doorcase with canopy on scrolled
brackets, 1985. Pentice board on gable. Roof half-hipped at left end. The
main range has chamfered transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue and notch
stops, edge-halved and bridled scarfs in the wallplates, and a framed newel
stair with at the top a moulded handrail and serpentine splat balusters, c.1600.
The wood-burning hearth facing to left is much rebuilt; the wood-burning hearth
facing to right is reduced in width, but still wide; the mantel beam is
chamfered with a similar stop at one end. The crosswing has an axial beam with
C20 chamfers; plain joists of square section are jointed to it on one side with
soffit tenons with diminished haunches, on the other side with unrefined soffit
tenons. The first-floor room of the crosswing has a chamfered tiebeam with
lamb's tongue stops, and is fully lined with pine panelling, late C17/early C18.
Against the attic stair is a small area of guilloche combed plaster. The rear
wing has a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue and notch stops, and a
face-halved and bladed scarf in one wallplate. Simple edge-halved scarfs
opposite each other in both wallplates indicate that it has been extended to the
rear. A panel of stick wattle and daub is exposed behind glass. All the roofs
are of clasped purlin construction. The newel stair may have been built against
the stack originally, forming a lobby-entrance. The rear wing, with bladed
scarfs, was constructed c.1600, and later extended. RCHM 11.

Listing NGR: TM1861627105

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.