This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9033 / 51°54'11"N
Longitude: 1.1874 / 1°11'14"E
OS Eastings: 619364
OS Northings: 227550
OS Grid: TM193275
Mapcode National: GBR VR0.M1D
Mapcode Global: VHLCL.JFL9
Entry Name: Post Office and Village Shop
Listing Date: 7 October 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391206
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493414
Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Great Oakley
Built-Up Area: Great Oakley
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1874/0/10008 THE STREET
07-OCT-04 Post Office and Village Shop
Shop with residence. C17 or earlier house, re-fronted in late-C18 including shop, and with C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Timber framed core, with rendered brick facade, and wood and glass shop-front.
PLAN: 2-bay front with shop at ground floor and residence above and behind.
EXTERIOR: Main elevation with ground floor late-C18 shop front comprising central doorcase flanked by pair of rounded advanced shop windows. Continuous cornice with diamond and dentil decoration to base of frieze. Central doorcase with recessed door of 4 panes flanked by pair of fluted pilasters beneath ogee brackets supporting flat hood. Shop windows of 5-over-5 large panes above wood plinth, and fluted pilasters under shallow console bracket to outsides. Lower door to left of shop-front under hood supported by pair of console brackets.
INTERIOR: Ground floor with exposed beams, some chamfered and some with redundant joist mortises, and joists to both front bays. Surviving framing to first floor includes beam with central posts, joists, and original front wall plate. Plank and 4-panel doors to first floor. C19 extension to ground floor rear with fireplace and pair of glazed doors set in splayed panelled surround. C20 additions to side and rear not of interest.
An elaborate and well-preserved late-C18 shop front, with a significant amount of framing from the or earlier house behind.
Other nearby listed buildings