This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5399 / 51°32'23"N
Longitude: 0.7184 / 0°43'6"E
OS Eastings: 588610
OS Northings: 185837
OS Grid: TQ886858
Mapcode National: GBR YB0.3Q
Mapcode Global: VHKHM.DKMC
Entry Name: Porters (Civic House)
Listing Date: 23 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122927
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Kursaal
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Southend Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 8885 7/15 23.11.51.
The house takes its name from le-Porters, a prominent family in south-east Essex
in the C14 who owned the estate. One of the family may have built an earlier house
on the site. The first known owner of the present house is Humfrey Browne (d.
1592) but it may have been built by a member of the Tyrrell family who owned the
estate earlier in the C16. It is a late C15 or early C16 red brick manor house
with cross wings at the east and west ends gabled on the north and south fronts.
At the end of the C16 it was completed or extensively rebuilt when the space between
the wings was filled in and a porch built on the north front. There is a moulded
brick plinth. 2 storeys and attics. The windows are stone mullioned and transomed
casements, 3-5 lights. 4 window range on the north front and irregular fenestration
on the south front. The windows on each storey under the gables on the north front
are original with moulded mullions and transomes, also the ground storey window
of the centre block. On the south front the attic windows in the gables and the
1st storey windows of the centre block are original. Some of the windows on the
south side have moulded brick reveals. A gabled porch projects on the north side.
Roof tiled, with 1 hipped dormer window on the south front and chimney stacks with
diagonally set shafts on the east and west ends (rebuilt).
Listing NGR: TQ8861085837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings