This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5151 / 51°30'54"N
Longitude: -0.1287 / 0°7'43"W
OS Eastings: 529942
OS Northings: 181229
OS Grid: TQ299812
Mapcode National: GBR HC.82
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Q59W
Plus Code: 9C3XGV8C+2G
Entry Name: Elms Lester Painting Rooms
Listing Date: 10 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477339
Location: Camden, London, WC2H
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2981SE FLITCROFT STREET
798-1/104/481 (East side)
10/06/88 Nos.1-5 (Consecutive)
Elms Lester Painting Rooms
Painting rooms for theatrical scenery. 1903-4. For Messrs W &
J Elms Lester. English bond yellow brick, with facade of red
brick; top-lit lantern, projecting above 1st floor level and
lighting painting rooms, has facing of glazed white brick.
Gabled, brick-coped Welsh slate roof; brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey pedimented facade, with legend ELMS LESTERS
PAINTING ROOMS & STORES inscribed on tympanum of inner
pediment, which is set above row of colonnettes which rest on
cornice of main pediment. This cornice is broken by panelled
full-height loading doors to right and tall window with
glazing bars to left, the latter above a segmental-arched
2-light window with glazing bars. Pedimented facade to lantern
storey has moulded stone lintel above 2-light transomed
window. Right-side wall, of 2-storey, 3-window range has
concrete lintels over 2-light transomed windows, and loft door
above double doors to front: to rear of this range is lean-to
porch with 8-panelled double doors attached to large 3-storey
canted bay with plate-glass sashes.
INTERIOR: the centre of the building is occupied by the
painting frames, lit by the projecting lantern which has
cast-iron framework to glazing. The 1st floor painting area,
supported on a steel frame, gives access to four 50'x 30'
painting frames which run along the outer side walls and both
sides of the inner dividing screen wall. Each cast-iron frame
can be raised or lowered by electric winches. Each painting
room has a sink and studio stove and they are surrounded by
studios and artists' accommodation. The large entrance lobby
to the front has a hoist and trap doors, which facilitated the
exit of completed backcloths from the painting rooms, via the
full-height doors in the facade.
HISTORICAL NOTE: an important and complete survival of a
theatrical scene-painting workshop.
Listing NGR: TQ2994281229
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings