This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5153 / 51°30'55"N
Longitude: -0.1284 / 0°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 529963
OS Northings: 181260
OS Grid: TQ299812
Mapcode National: GBR HB.BZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Q5GP
Plus Code: 9C3XGV8C+4J
Entry Name: Church of St Giles in the Fields
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245864
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477939
Location: Camden, London, WC2H
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2981SE ST GILES HIGH STREET
798-1/104/1509 (South side)
24/10/51 Church of St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church. 1731-33. By Henry Flitcroft, restored 1896, and c1952
when N Haines and G Jackson also restored interior decoration.
Portland stone with copper roof. Classical style. Rectangular
plan, nave of 5 bays plus vestibule at west end with tower
EXTERIOR: rusticated stone to string course marking interior
gallery level, above plain ashlar with rusticated quoins.
Ground floor windows rectangular with flat arches; gallery
windows round-headed with keystones, moulded architraves and
plain impost blocks. Modillion cornice with blocking course
above. At west end of south and north facades an entrance door
with Gibbs surround. Pedimented west end has flight of 7 steps
leading to 2 leaf, fielded 3-panelled entrance door with a
Gibbs surround. Above, a semicircular headed window with a
round-headed niche to either side and a square niche to either
side above that. H FLITCROFT ARCHITECTUS carved on the
entablature. East end pedimented with Doric Venetian window
(glass to centre only). Tower of rusticated base, ashlar
belfry with round-headed openings, coupled pilasters
supporting an entablature, surmounted, on each face, by a
clock & urn finials at each corner. Octagonal lantern with
engaged Ionic columns supporting an entablature broken forward
at each angle. Spire with rustic bands & golden ball
INTERIOR: vestibule at west end of 3 lobbies, centre being
entrance to nave, to either side containing open stairs to
galleries. Tunnel-vaulted nave with shallow sanctuary,
groin-vaulted aisles over which galleries which continue
across west end. Square panelled piers rising to the underside
of galleries support Ionic columns with block entablatures,
all of Portland stone; these carry the roof & ceiling. Font
1810, much restored Father Smith Organ 1671 in case probably
of 1734, inlaid mahogany pulpit 1676. Carved monument to
George Chapman (translator of Homer), dated 1634, probably
designed by Inigo Jones. In front of west door, pedimented
entrance gate by William Leverton, c1810, incorporating wooden
relief of Resurrection of the Dead, 1686-7 by Love.
(Survey of London: Vol. V, The Parish of St
Giles-in-the-Fields Part II: London: -1914).
Listing NGR: TQ2996381261
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings