This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5359 / 51°32'9"N
Longitude: -0.1285 / 0°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 529899
OS Northings: 183551
OS Grid: TQ298835
Mapcode National: GBR H3.9L
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.QNFF
Entry Name: Steam Locomotive Water Point
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 11 June 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477350
Location: Camden, London, N1C
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
798-1/84/587 CAMLEY STREET
11-JUN-03 Steam Locomotive Water Point
(Formerly listed as:
LOCOMOTIVE WATER POINT NORTH OF ST PAN
ST PANCRAS STATION)
(Formerly listed as:
WATER POINT NORTH OF ST PANCRAS)
Steam Locomotive Water Point. C.1870, probably by the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott, for the Midland Railway.
EXTERIOR: red brick with yellow stone dressings, iron water tank within. Rectangular structure in three tiers. Lower tier with arched doors to sides, with radiating voussoirs above; moulded stone plinth bands and string course. Middle tier with seven bay arcades to long sides, with stone capitals to pilasters and alternate brick and stone voussoirs. Corbel table above. Upper tier entirely of brick, with blind arcade with round-headed arches.
HISTORY: this formerly served Midland Railway steam locomotives departing from St Pancras Station. The structure was in place by 1872, when the 'Quarterly Review' criticised the inappropriate use of Gothic for a functional structure of this sort. It was one of a pair of structures, the other (long demolished) housing hydraulic lifting gear used to raise beer barrels from the station undercroft. Redundant following the disappearance of steam from main line use in the early 1960s, it was first listed in 1974. The construction of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link necessitated the relocation of the structure to its present location on Camley Street. This was undertaken in November 2001, with funding assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, when the structure was removed in three parts and re-erected 700 m. north of its old location. The Morton Partnership Ltd were the consulting engineers responsible. It is an exceptionally architectural example of a water point, and related historically and stylistically with the great terminus of St Pancras.
SOURCE: report by Pre-Construct Archaeology, 'A Survey of Historic Pipe-work at the Waterpoint, St Pancras (2001).
Listing NGR: TQ2989983551
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings