This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5252 / 51°31'30"N
Longitude: -0.1176 / 0°7'3"W
OS Eastings: 530688
OS Northings: 182380
OS Grid: TQ306823
Mapcode National: GBR K7.RF
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.XX6N
Entry Name: Numbers 11-26 and Attached Railings, Byron Court (Number 26)
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113118
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477496
Location: Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3082SE MECKLENBURGH SQUARE
798-1/96/1112 (East side)
10/06/54 Nos.11-26 (Consecutive)
and attached railings, Byron Court
Terrace of 24 houses forming the east side of Mecklenburgh
Square. No.26 incorporates former Nos 27-34. c1810-20. By
Joseph Kay. Thomas Penthrin built Nos 11-19 & 30-34; George
Payne Nos 20-29. Nos 15 and 27-34 rebuilt in facsimile c1950.
Multi-coloured stock brick with stucco ground floors. Centre
pavilion (Nos 21-25) and end pavilions (Nos 11-15) and (31-34)
EXTERIOR: formal composition of 4 storeys, basements and Nos
26-33 with C20 dormers. No.23 with large dormer. Mostly 2
windows each. Centre pavilion: ground floors rusticated stucco
with round arched doorways with fluted pilaster-jambs and
cornice heads (Greek key pattern), fanlights and panelled
doors. Centre 5 bays slightly recessed with 4 Greek Ionic
columns rising through 1st and 2nd floors, flanked by 3 bays
articulated by 4 pilasters. Enriched entablature with
projecting cornice at 3rd floor level. Recessed sash windows;
ground floor outer bays segmental headed with small panes to
edges, 1st floor centre 6 with pedimented heads, outer bays
square-headed in shallow round-arched recesses. All 1st floor
with cast-iron balconies. Between 1st and 2nd floor outer bays
enriched recessed panels with swags reflecting the
round-arched windows in the attic storey. Attic storey with
moulded pilasters carrying cornice, the centre pilasters
terminating in segmental anthemion stops. Blocking course.
Outer pavilions: similar but with only 2 Ionic columns,
segmental headed ground floor windows and square-headed 1st
Nos 16-20 & 26-30: round-arched doorways with fluted
pilaster-jambs and cornice-heads (Greek key pattern),
fanlights and panelled double doors. Doorways to former Nos
26-34 replaced by windows except former No.29, now main
entrance to Byron Court. Segmental headed ground floor
windows. Upper floors with gauged brick flat arches to
recessed sashes; 1st floor with cast-iron balconies. Plain
stucco entablature at 3rd floor level. Parapets.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with urn
finials to areas; Nos 12, 14, 16 and 19 with wrought-iron lamp
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.21 was the residence of RH Tawney,
historian, teacher & political writer (GLC plaque).
No.15 and Nos 22-25 (consec) were listed on 14/05/74.
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood (St
Pancras part IV): London: -1952: 47-50).
Listing NGR: TQ3067582415
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings