This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5172 / 51°31'2"N
Longitude: -0.1285 / 0°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 529949
OS Northings: 181473
OS Grid: TQ299814
Mapcode National: GBR HB.98
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Q4D6
Plus Code: 9C3XGV8C+VH
Entry Name: Congress House Including Forecourt and Courtyard Sculptures
Listing Date: 29 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113223
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477672
Location: Camden, London, WC1B
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2981SE GREAT RUSSELL STREET
798-1/104/684 (South side)
29/03/88 Nos.23-28 (Consecutive)
Congress House including forecourt
and courtyard sculptures
Trades Union headquarters building and sculptures. 1953-7. By
David du R Aberdeen. Sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Bernard
Meadows. For the Trades Union Congress. Polished granite and
blue tile cladding; aluminium windows.
EXTERIOR: 7 storeys, 28 windows in a continuous strip.
E-shaped plan round an internal courtyard on restricted site
bounded by 3 streets; imposed height limitation of 80 ft.
Building houses the Memorial Hall, Library, Secretariat and
Council Chamber. Principal elevation to Great Russell Street a
rectangular block on pilotis; recessed ground floor glazed,
upper floors continuous strip windows alternating with bands
of granite cladding, those at top floor being large
rectangular lights with a band of half lights above. Plinth in
front of entrance supporting bronze sculpture by Bernard
Meadows. Side elevation to Dyott Street more boldly modelled.
Small balconies to the five main storeys at the north end, the
glazed drum of the horse-shoe staircase to the basement in the
centre, and a projection of the first floor beneath which is
the Memorial Hall.
INTERIOR: is of interest spatially and retains most original
fixtures and fittings. Top-lighting of the hall is provided by
glazed hexagonal coffers which form part of its space-frame
roof. On the west wall of the courtyard a pyramidal screen of
green marble acts as a backdrop for the TUC War Memorial by
Jacob Epstein (1955-6).
HISTORICAL NOTE: widely regarded, at the time of its
completion and since, as one of the most important
institutional buildings erected in London, and one of the most
significant 1950s buildings in Britain.
(Architectural Review: December 1957; Jacob Epstein: Sculpture
& Drawings: London: -1987).
Listing NGR: TQ2994981473
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings