This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2967 / 51°17'48"N
Longitude: -0.3308 / 0°19'51"W
OS Eastings: 516471
OS Northings: 156606
OS Grid: TQ164566
Mapcode National: GBR 6P.58D
Mapcode Global: VHGRV.6NYT
Entry Name: Wesley House, with Steps and Walls to Front
Listing Date: 6 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473526
Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22
District: Mole Valley
Town: Mole Valley
Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead North
Built-Up Area: Leatherhead
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Leatherhead
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ1656NW LEATHERHEAD BULL HILL
1293/9/10003 Wesley House, with steps and walls to front
Former offices of Leatherhead Urban District Council, with approach steps and walls to front. 1935 by C H Rose and H R Gardner. Red brick with grey brick dressings and pilasters; stone architraves and chenage to end bays. Rendered rear elevation. Pantiled hipped roof with end stacks and central copper fleche in Scandinavian style. Two storeys and attic on prominent hillside site, with central entrance and stairs flanked by a suite of offices on either side, and semi-circular council chamber to rear with public gallery beyond entered via modest public entrance at the very back of the building.
The main elevation is a prominent classical composition of nine bays, with central round-headed window to staircase under pediment and flanked by rusticated pilasters. The fenestration has been renewed in uPVC and is not itself of special interest, although it respects the pattern of the original glazing. The first floor windows at either end set in stone moulded architrave surrounds with console brackets under swan-necked pediments inset into which are tiny attic windows. Similar tiny attic windows the length of the facade, above stone cornice and a band that links the top of the windows. Double panelled doors reached up flight of brick steps, with brick walls ofred and grey brick to front completing the formal composition. Central fleche with delicate glazing bars (original) and weathervane set on attenuated knop. Side elevations in similar style but with round-headed dormers; the rear elevation more simple. Projecting single-storey council chamber with double doors at rear for admittance to public gallery .Late C20 single-storey extension at side not of special interest.
Interior has two major spaces of special interest. Entrance hall with landing over gives on to imperial staircase of terrazzo and with terrazzo-clad walls and balustrading, with art deco style metal balustrading to landings. Memorial to the past chairmen of Leatherhead District Council incorporating pair of Atlantes and large overmantel, surmounted by more lithe figures and pediment. Plaques to the War Savings Campaign of 1943 and 1944, presented by the War Office. Council chamber entered off half landing survives completely, with fine fixed furniture, including curved leather-covered benches for members with inlay details and built in rest with ink wells; higher bench for the council members similarly treated in front of panelled wall incorporating emblem. Decorated grilles over panelled double doors with lozenge lights filled with reeded glass and original door fixtures. Trabeated ceiling with original hanging light fixture. To rear simple benches behind low fixed timber barrier for the public and press. Members room to side has glass brick opening giving light on to corridor.
Included as a small but prominent example of a town hall; a 1930's town hall of this scale is rare. Though the fenestration has been altered, the council chamber and staircase are fine and complete examples with good original details.
Listing NGR: TQ1647156606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings