This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4007 / 50°24'2"N
Longitude: -4.1511 / 4°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 247217
OS Northings: 57862
OS Grid: SX472578
Mapcode National: GBR R8W.7T
Mapcode Global: FRA 276Z.LMG
Entry Name: Church of St Pancras
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113333
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473532
Location: Plymouth, PL2
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Ham
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4757NW HONICKNOWLE LANE, Pennycross
740-1/27/343 (West side (off))
25/01/54 Church of St Pancras
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Pancras)
Manorial chapel, later a parish church. Part of chancel 1482
on possibly earlier site, otherwise extended and rebuilt in
1820, using the original stone, and altered in 1870; parish
created 1898; W end damaged in 1939; choir stalls and pulpit
removed 1974. Slatestone rubble with freestone dressings; dry
slate roofs laid to diminishing courses; weathered buttressed
bellcote over the coped gable of the W end and rubble lateral
stack in the angle between the west end and the N transept.
PLAN: cruciform plan plus NE chapel and N porch at the W end.
Chancel was extended eastwards in 1820 so that only parts of
the N and S walls of the chancel survive from the original
EXTERIOR: 3-light traceried windows with hoodmoulds and
relieving arches to E of chancel and to N and S of transepts;
similar 2-light windows to side walls of transepts, but to W
wall only of S transept, probably all 1870 but in the style of
the 1820 windows; leaded glazing. 4-centred arched S doorway
to W end with 2 trefoils above and gallery access doorway high
up on the left. Gable-ended N porch probably 1870 with
4-centred arched doorway with hoodmould; trefoil vent to gable
and flat-roofed bays set back at left and right with blind
trefoil-headed windows. There is a piece of marble from St
Paul's Cathedral built into the S wall of the chancel (Power).
INTERIOR: plastered walls; painted moulded barrel ceilings
except for ribbed vault to chancel extension; gallery to W
FITTINGS: C15 (1482 Power) octagonal painted stone font with
shields and cinquefoil-arched panels, brought from Church of
St Budeaux in 1820; painted creed to N wall of chancel and
there is a tablet of charities for tything reused from the old
chapel, near the N doorway.
MONUMENTS: many C19 wall monuments and some resited from the
old chapel including: marble monument with pediment to Thomas
Were who died 1736 aged 59; marble and slate monument to Ann
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
645; Groves R: The Story of Pennycross: Plymouth: 1964-; Power
WJ: A Layman's View of Some Plymouth Churches: 1977-: 84).
Listing NGR: SX4721757862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings