This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4561 / 51°27'21"N
Longitude: -0.981 / 0°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 470898
OS Northings: 173506
OS Grid: SU708735
Mapcode National: GBR QJF.RG
Mapcode Global: VHDWS.YN8M
Entry Name: Butler's Wine Vaults
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38837
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Nos 85 to 91 (odd)
(Butler's Wine Vaults)
Established as a public house in 1830 and the present 2 storey 'pub front'
may just date from then. 2 storeys, brick with slate roof. 5 bays, 4 rendered.
3 central bays articulated as 'pub front' with quoined bay to left and parapet
with 2 pedimented panels. Left hand bay has on 1st floor a round headed sash
window with marginal glazing, eared architrave and panel over. On the ground
floor a good shop front of the period with heavy side piers and side brackets,
central entrance and arcaded windows. The main 2 bays on 1st floor have 2
outer acanthus capped pilasters and 2 late glazing bar sash windows with segmental
pediments, containing high relief fruit and flower carving, supported on acanthus
cap pilasters. With the 'pub front', of considerable importance is the 6 sided
central moulded panel with the traditional Old Reading Abbey sign (restored).
Ground floor front below this has the usual 2 entrances, 6 panelled pilasters
with acanthus caps, and 2 central windows. Dray entrance to left, 1 window
dwelling and bar extension to right.
Listing NGR: SU7089873506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings