This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4553 / 51°27'19"N
Longitude: -0.9823 / 0°58'56"W
OS Eastings: 470808
OS Northings: 173413
OS Grid: SU708734
Mapcode National: GBR QJF.GR
Mapcode Global: VHDWS.XPK7
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39108
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of the
SU 7073 12/540
Church of England. Built 1826 to the design of Edward Garbett (local man).
West front owes its present appearance to the 1845 improvement by John Billing
(local architect/builder). Plain brick building oriented north-south, stone
fable end capped by octagonal belfry with spirelet corbelled out at apex.
3 stepped lancets and below, 3 arched doors, centre taller with impost string
carried over and string above. Side buttresses. 4 Bath stone piers to street
wall. Interior: Commissioners' Gothic 5 bay nave, galleries removed, chancel
apse and side chapeslls. Excellent chancel screen by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin from it Chad's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Birmingham. (Graded for this reason). Other internal fittings of high quality include a fine early C18 angular pulpit with fluted egg-cup base with a (possibly replica) tester with putti and soon with curled stair of turned balusters. Also a fine shaped and marbled organ of circa 1800. A possibly circa 1826 Gothick chair with upholstery.
Listing NGR: SU7080873413
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings