This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4543 / 51°27'15"N
Longitude: -0.9427 / 0°56'33"W
OS Eastings: 473563
OS Northings: 173345
OS Grid: SU735733
Mapcode National: GBR QTG.B3
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.MP0Z
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113513
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39023
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 7373 8/521
Church of England 1879. Chiefly interesting as Alfred Waterhouse's first and
possibly only large-scale essay in Church building . Gothic. On corner of
Palmer Park. 5 bay aisled nave. Red brick with grey brick decoration (eg cross
in west gable) and bands. Ashlar plinth and recessed reveals. Tiled roof.
West front has central entrance with stepped triplet in pointed recess above
it and a double belfry. West porch to north of aisle a later addition (1920
by Sir Ninian Comper) with ashlar ogee entrance flanked by shield panels representing
St Bartholomew's flaying knives and St Peter's keys) and topped by canopied
niche with statue of St Bartholomew. Interior: wide bay arcades on low columns;
whitewash now obscures polychromy of brickwork which was exposed inside as
well as out. Tie beam roof. 3 bay aisled chancel 1902-05 (see rainwater heads)
by G F Bodley with decorated windows - chancel added with Waterhousets consent.
Panelled waggon roof.
Listing NGR: SU7356373345
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings