This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4537 / 51°27'13"N
Longitude: -0.9449 / 0°56'41"W
OS Eastings: 473412
OS Northings: 173277
OS Grid: SU734732
Mapcode National: GBR QSG.TB
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.KQVF
Entry Name: Sarcophagus Monument at Reading Cemetery
Listing Date: 16 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490023
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
934/0/10048 LONDON ROAD
16-APR-03 SARCOPHAGUS MONUMENT AT READING CEMETERY
Tomb of Mary Wienholt, died 1859. Sarcophagus on tall plinth above base. Carrara marble. Crown-topped Italianate sarcophagus in the Quattrocento manner on Lion's paw feet. Projecting lower part decorated with symmetrical, wild garland of grapes and leaves. Upperside plain with floral wreaths to sides and ends. To east side, wreath encircles 'MARY'; to ends, wreath around family crest of male figure with bunch of grapes. Plinth on two-stage base with inscribed panels, that to east reads:
'Sacred to the memory of MARY WIENHOLT daughter of
John Wienholt Esquire of London and Higham Hill Essex
Born 30th October 1778 Died 9th December 1859
This monument has been erected by her nephews and nieces
As a tribute of gratitude and affection
Here rests also
Magdalena Susanna Wienholt, daughter of Frederick W. Wienholt esquire of Leighton
Removed from vault in St. Giles Church Reading She died 7 July 1889 aged 55 years'
The tomb lies in the Grade II Registered Reading Cemetery.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings