This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0377 / 52°2'15"N
Longitude: -0.3356 / 0°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 514260
OS Northings: 239011
OS Grid: TL142390
Mapcode National: GBR H4T.CXL
Mapcode Global: VHGNC.41FP
Entry Name: Catholic Church of St Francis of Assisi
Listing Date: 10 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37665
Location: Shefford, Central Bedfordshire, SG17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Shefford
Built-Up Area: Shefford
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shefford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1439 SHEFFORD HIGH STREET
8/111 (south side)
- Catholic Church of
St Francis of Assisi
Roman Catholic church. Designed by S J Nicholl of Kentish Town, erected at
expense of Mrs Lyne-Stephens of Lynsford Hall, Thetford, Norfolk. Opened
1884. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Church is oriented
N-S, with alter to S end. Rectangular plan overall, consisting of nave and
chancel, the latter with narrow aisles formed by 2-bay arcades within
structure. In C14 style. Nave: N (road) gable has large pointed-arched 4-
light window with cusped flowing and panel tracery. 3-light ogee window to
apex. Stone coping to gable, with crucifix finial. To LH side is slightly
projecting 3-stage bell-cote. To ground floor is pointed arched doorway,
recessed within higher pointed archway with traceried spandrels. Central
stage has canopied niche with figure of St Francis, flanked by single lights.
Gabled top stage almost entirely in ashlar, has ogee headed niche with statue
of Virgin and Child. Nave also has windows to W and E in similar style.
Chancel: has windows to W and E, similar in style but with 4-centred arched
heads. The pointed-arched arcades have rather slender columns. Interior:
reredos, approx. 9 metres high, is in ornate High Gothic style, of carved
stone including alabaster and marble, and has figures of saints within
crocketed canopied niches. Arcades have foliate capitals. Nave has half-
height cedarwood panelling with carved and painted Stations of the Cross inset
at intervals. Carved stone pulpit to SE corner of nave in High Gothic style.
High Gothic carved stone Lady Altar to SW corner of nave, the Virgin and Child
partly gilded. Stained glass to Lady Altar window, and to windows in nave W
and E. NE of nave is octagonal font with crocketed wood spire cover. Angular
wagon roofs to nave and chancel, timberwork to nave plain and open, that to
chancel infilled, with painted and gilded angels and bosses. Gallery to N end
Kelly's Directory of Beds, Hunts and Northants, 1885, pp 107-8).
Listing NGR: TL1426039011
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings