History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Francis's Home

A Grade II Listed Building in Shefford, Central Bedfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0378 / 52°2'16"N

Longitude: -0.3355 / 0°20'7"W

OS Eastings: 514269

OS Northings: 239019

OS Grid: TL142390

Mapcode National: GBR H4V.602

Mapcode Global: VHGNC.41HN

Entry Name: St Francis's Home

Listing Date: 6 August 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1158042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37664

Location: Shefford, Central Bedfordshire, SG17

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Shefford

Built-Up Area: Shefford

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shefford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Shefford

Listing Text

TL 1439 SHEFFORD HIGH STREET
8/110 (south side)

6.8.79 St Francis's Home

GV II

Former orphanage and seminary attached to the Roman Catholic Church of St
Francis of Assisi. Established by the Rev. Canon Collis in 1869, the
buildings were designed by S J Nicholl, and probably paid for by Mrs Lyne-
Stephens of Lynsford Hall, Thetford, Norfolk. They bear the dates 1879 and
1884. Red brick. Clay tile roofs with decorative ridge cresting. 2 storeyed
range to E, 3 storeyed block to W adjoining church. E block: balanced
asymmetry of design. Gabled outer bays. LH one has ground floor sash
surmounted by canted oriel, above which the gable is jettied. RH one has
Tudor arched carriageway surmounted by 2 first floor single-light casements
which flank a small niche (possibly intended for statue of St Francis) with
letters S F below. To central bay are 3 unevenly spaced gablets. LH one is
above canted oriel and Tudor arched carriageway. 2 RH ones are above 2 storey
canted bays. Outer gables have heavy ogee-shaped bargeboards, and mock timber
framing with rose decoration. W block: 2 bays, with 2 storey canted bay
windows. 2nd floor is hung with fishscale tiles, and has 2 tall French
windows opening onto balcony with plain wood balustrade. The gable apices are
jettied out to line with balcony, and have mock timber framing and simply
moulded bargeboards. Windows in both parts have glazing bars, and are mostly
sashes. (Kelly(s Directory of Beds, Hunts and Northants, 1885, p.107).


Listing NGR: TL1426939019

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.