This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.011 / 52°0'39"N
Longitude: -0.4579 / 0°27'28"W
OS Eastings: 505936
OS Northings: 235850
OS Grid: TL059358
Mapcode National: GBR G3J.YWQ
Mapcode Global: VHFQV.0QS7
Entry Name: Church of Saint John the Baptist
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37996
Location: Flitton and Greenfield, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Flitton and Greenfield
Built-Up Area: Greenfield
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Flitton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0435 HIGH STREET
14/9 Church of Saint John the
Parish church. C15. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings.
Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. De Grey family mausoleum
(see item 14/10) adjoins to NE, enclosing N and E elevations of chancel.
Embattled parapets throughout. Chancel: 3-light E window. Round-headed
archway to N elevation gives onto mausoleum. S elevation, rendered and
painted to combine with mausoleum, has 2 3-light 3-centred windows flanking
pointed-arched doorway. Nave: 3-bay pointed-arched arcades to both sides.
Chancel arch in same style. Clerestory has 3 2-light 4-centred windows to
each side. Rood staircase to SE angle forms external octagonal stair turret.
N aisle N elevation has 2 3-light 4-centred windows to E bays and blocked
pointed-archway doorway in square surround to W bay. Single-light window to 'd
elevation. S aisle: S elevation has 2 3-light early C16 windows with
straight-sided heads. 3-light E window. Pointed-arched S doorway. S porch:
pointed arch within square head, the tracery and shields within spandrels
reworked C20. W tower: 3 stages, with 4-stage diagonal buttresses to W angles
and semi-octagonal stair turret to SE angle. Bell-stage has 2-light windows
to each side. W elevation has 3-light window to lower stage. Interior:
variety of monuments. To chancel floor is brass to Thomas Hill, receiver
general to Earls of Kent, d.1628 aged 101. To N aisle N wall are 2 reset-
brasses, one to Eleanor Conquest, d.1434, other to Elizabeth Waren d.1544. To
N aisle E wall is brass inscription to Alice Hill, d.1594. Also numerous Cl8
marble wall monuments and floor slabs. Nave and aisles retain original roofs
with decorative basses and angels holding shields. Nave retains much original
pewing. Chancel N archway to mausoleum contains C18 wrought iron gate with
Kent initials incorportated into cresting.
Listing NGR: TL0593635850
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings