This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9911 / 51°59'27"N
Longitude: -0.621 / 0°37'15"W
OS Eastings: 494785
OS Northings: 233409
OS Grid: SP947334
Mapcode National: GBR F2C.5SW
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.662Z
Entry Name: Staunton House
Listing Date: 16 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113985
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38196
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9433-9533 WOBURN BELFORD STREET (West Side)
- Staunton House (Nos 9 to
18, consecutive )
Almshouses, N part of the group formerly known as the Staunton Almshouses.
Dated 1850 above doorway. Founded 1635 by Sir Francis Staunton of Birchmore
in his will, and granted by Act of 1760 to John Duke of Bedford. These
buildings erected by Francis 7th Duke of Bedford. Yellow brick with rendered
dressings. Clay tile roofs. Rear blocks of red brick. Main part consists of
long rectangular block bordering pavement. 2 storeys. Loosely Jacobean
style. Symmetrical road elevation has 9 crowstepped gables in various sizes,
outer ones largest. Ground floor has 6 2-light windows flanked by 2 3-light
ones. First floor has 6 single lights flanked by 2 2-light windows. All are
cast iron lattice casements set in mullioned openings, with square heads and
moulded dripstones. Central and outer gables each have small oculus to apex
with decorative grille. Central doorway contains 6-panel round-headed door.
This is set in round-arched opening in a square surround. Large keystone
rises to modillion cornice flanked by ornamental volutes. Volutes are
surmounted by heavy moulded finials, and above cornice is moulded semi-
circular panel containing date plaque. Substantial multiple ridge stacks with
moulded caps. Linked to rear of brick garden walls is low rectangular
outhouse block. Red brick with clay tile roofs, in simpler but similar style
to main block. Symmetrical arrangement with central slightly taller gable.
Now converted to 2 dwellings. Forms a pair with item 8/94.
Listing NGR: SP9478533409
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings