History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Clement, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2541 / 50°15'14"N

Longitude: -5.0301 / 5°1'48"W

OS Eastings: 184095

OS Northings: 43740

OS Grid: SW840437

Mapcode National: GBR ZH.81X0

Mapcode Global: FRA 08CC.65P

Entry Name: Park Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 August 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 351279

Location: St. Clement, Cornwall, TR1

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Clement

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Clement

Listing Text

ST CLEMENT
SW 84 SW
5/275 Park Farmhouse
the item number shall be amended to read: 6/10007

and the description shall be amended to read:

Farmhouse, later small country house. Late C16 or early C17,
remodelled between 1770 and 1785 for Elizabeth Warrick, daughter
of Richard Peters. Coursed dressed freestone front with granite
quoins, basement lintels, keyblock and sills; otherwise rubble
walls and slatehanging to front of wing on left, to 2nd floor of
rear wing and to 1st floor of 2-storey possible former porch;
dry slate hipped roofs except for asbestos slate to wing on left
with crested C19 clay ridge tiles and finials; brick lateral
stacks over rear wall and over side walls. Irregular T-shaped
plan with C18 house built incorporating parts of a C16 or C17
house. Shaft of the T has C18 front with a 2-room plan house
with stair hall; lower kitchen wing on the left; rear wing
(heightened to 3 storeys circa late C19) behind right-hand side,
with 2-storey probable former porch in rear right-hand angle and
further wing on right of house which also projects forward as
cross wing. 2 storeys over basement; symmetrical 5-window south
front. Flat arches with projecting keyblocksx over original C18
12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and central doorway with
pair of 3-panel doors within mid C19 canted wooden porch with
flat roof over wide eaves with paired brackets and round-headed
doorway with original pair of doors with fanlight heads and
glazing bars; blind side panels under small arches. 2 late C19
12-pane horned sashes on 1st floor of left-hand return in similar
openings to front. Other elevations unaltered since late C19.
Interior; basement of right-hand room (of central 2-room house)
has late C16 or early C17 granite fireplace with roll-moulded
architrave over diabolo stops; later brick back. Principal
rooms have late C18 heavy moulded plaster ceiling cornices; a
late C18 closed string dog-leg stair with moulded handrail over
stick balusters, panelled shutters, 4-panel doors; C19 chimney
pieces to ground floor rooms, probably original ones to 1st
floor. Much old crown glass on one pane of which is inscribed:
E Warrick. History: In 1276 Park was known as Parkum. From
1337-1650 it was owned by the family descended from John de Park;
from 1650-1700, the Harris family; from 1700-1732, the c6ven or
Covin family; from 1732-1760, the Long family; from 1760-1770,
Richard Peters, a Merchant of Truro and Tregony; in 1770
bequeathed to his daughter Elizabeth who married Christopher
Warrick, surgeon, whose father Thomas Warrick was Mayor of Truro
in 1765; in 1785 bequeathed to their daughter Harriet who
married Rear Admiral Sir John Ferris Devonshire, who served with
Nelson; 1839 bequeathed to their son John; 1848 bequeathed to
Captain Vivian of list Hussars - Lord of the Treasury and Under
Secretary for War, M.P for Truro and 2 spinster Devonshires;
1855 bequeathed to Elizabeth Warrick Devonshire, spinster; 1879
bequeathed to Charles James Devonshire who, with Alice Ann, had
9 children; 1896 bequeathed to Charles Warwick Devonshire and
in 1912 it was sold from this family to Walter Cruse, fruit
farmer and since then it has changed hands 4 times to the present
owner Colin Parker, a fisherman.

------------------------------------

ST CLEMENT
SW 84 SW
5/275 Park Farmhouse
- II
C18/Cl9 building built over original of probably Cl6/Cl7 said to be originally
1564. Ashlar, later slate hipped roof with eaves. 2 storeys and basement.
5 windows, sashes with glazing bars, keyblocks. Central doorway with enclosed
wood porch with semi-circular headed lights. Stone fireplace of original
house in basement.


Listing NGR: SW8409543740

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.