History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Ives Junior School

A Grade II Listed Building in St Ives, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2108 / 50°12'39"N

Longitude: -5.4845 / 5°29'4"W

OS Eastings: 151487

OS Northings: 40348

OS Grid: SW514403

Mapcode National: GBR DXV4.0KL

Mapcode Global: VH12D.WYFR

Entry Name: St Ives Junior School

Listing Date: 30 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115108

English Heritage Legacy ID: 351295

Location: St. Ives, Cornwall, TR26

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Ives

Built-Up Area: St Ives

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Ives

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
St Ives

Listing Text

THE STENNACK
1. ------------
5159 St Iveg Junior School

SW 54 SW 1/301

II


2.
County Council Junior School, former Board School. 1878-1881 by Silvarus Trevail.
Dressed granite with granite ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roofs with bands
of fish-scale slates and coursed ridge tiles with small terracotta finials over
the gables. Three gable-ended parallel ranges with linking ranges at the south
front. The central range is shorter and has wider gable and a porch in the
angle to the right with small bell tower above with battered first stage with
gablet and two light lancet louvred bell-openings and with moulded string and
cornice above, originally surmounted by a slated pyramidal spire. The central
gable has tripartite gothic windows with double-chamfered pointed arches with
hoodmoulds and pierced blind tympana and with shouldered arch lights below in
the flanking gables tripartite shouldered and lights within single pointed arch
with blind tympana with small shield of the area. Similar gable on east and
west side. All the gables, except the centre, have barge-boards treated as
exposed trusses with braces to the collars and king-posts, and paired wooden
brackets in place of kneelers. The windows on the front linking ranges and
at the sides have straight heads with stopped chamfered jambs, some paired with
central mullion. All sashes, without glazing bars. Continuous granite weathered
cill course and plinth and small buttresses with set offs at the corners and
front. Moulded granite ridge stacks with set-offs and weathered caps. The
plans for the school were exhibited at the 1878 Pairs Exhibition and afterwards
in the International Exhibition held in Melbourne and Sidney, Australia.


Listing NGR: SW5148740348

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.