History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Julian

A Grade I Listed Building in Wellow, Bath and North East Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3241 / 51°19'26"N

Longitude: -2.3718 / 2°22'18"W

OS Eastings: 374187

OS Northings: 158397

OS Grid: ST741583

Mapcode National: GBR 0R2.TDG

Mapcode Global: VH96S.TZZB

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Julian

Listing Date: 1 February 1956

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1115330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32345

Location: Wellow, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Wellow

Built-Up Area: Wellow

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(North side)
1.2.56 Parish Church of St. Julian

Parish Church of St. Julian. Founded prior to C12th; it is suggested but
without evidence that the present church was built c.1372 by Sir Thomas Hungerford;
late C14th/C15th; restored with new chancel, 1845 by B. Ferrey; present chancel
1889-90 by Bodley and Garner; recent restoration completed 1952 by W. Caroe, the
younger. West tower. Nave with clerestory (1430), North and South aisles;
South Porch; Chancel, North (Hungerford) Chapel. Ashlar; partly rubble to
porch and east part of south aisle; Cotswold stone slate roofs with slate roof
to chancel. Embattled parapets. West Tower: 3 stages, set back buttresses
with off-sets which turn into diagonal pinnacles in upper stages; embattled
parapet with pinnacles; square stair turret on south-east corner, terminates as
octagon; 3-light window to bell chamber with cusped heads; similar but larger
window with transom to west; west door has hollow chamfer and ogee moulded
surround with 4-centred arch lintel and drip mould, arms carved in spandrels,
heads as label stops (1975) are Edward Henderson, Bishop of Bath and Wells and
Major Horton-Fawkes, patron of the living. South aisle: Two 3-light windows to
west of porch with 4-centre arch lintels, drip moulds with diamond label stops;
to east of porch 4-light square headed window with cusped heads, drip mould and
carved label stops; angle buttress with pinnacle to west, low buttress to east
with scratch dial. North aisle: 3- and 4-light square headed windows. Rood
stair turret: c. 1430-50; projects in re-entrant angle between south aisle and
chancel; polygonal east face; embattled parapet with pinnacle. Chancel: in
matching Perpendicular style; 3-light windows under 4-centred arch lintels;
decorative finial on apex of east gable; 5-light east window. South Porch:
Rendered to front; diagonal buttresses with pinnacles; ashlar plain parapet
which is ramped up at front to form concave sided gable, central pinnacle and
niche below containing modern (?C19th) figure of St. Julian; embattled parapets
to sides; heavily moulded door surround. Interior South Porch. Fine C 14th south
door with 6-lights of blank panels below and reticulated cusped tracery above;
heavily moulded, restored door surround; 2 carved niches above; carved angel
corbels to proch roof. Nave. 4 bays with typical Perpendicular moulding of
4 hollows and 4 engaged columns; panelled and decorated Perpendicular roof
(restored) with corbels, carved as angels; many Perpendicular benches with
poppy heads and simple panelled tracery on ends, (Some on fronts or backs).
Tower. Arch of similar Perpendicular moulding; tierceron vault with central
bell rope opening. Rood. Finely carved and decorated Perpendicular rood
screen of c.1430; rood loft and rood itself are by W. Caroe, the younger, 1952.
Squints to either side of rood screen, with cusped heads. Chancel. c.1889-90
with fittings of that date; 8 carved heads, early C14th, of kings and bishops
set below first south window; 4 further heads, 2 to either side of east window;
restored piscina. North (Hungerford) Chapel: c.1443; moulded, carved and
painted screen; panelled and decorated roof; probably Easter Sepulchre in north
wall, panels of quatrefoils below, 4-centred arch head with cusped panels,
inscription (about building of chapel) reads "For the love of Jesu and Mary's
sake Pray for them that this lete make"; on east, wall paintings of c.1500 of
Christ and 12 Apostles; carved and painted niche head in north-east corner, tomb
chest to Dorothy Popham, 1614, heavily mannered Jacobean Ionic columns and
entablature, strapwork and arms above; other tablets to the Hungerfords, Ursula
(1645), Susanna (1652), Giles (1638). North aisle: carved effigy of priest,
c.1400 in 4 centred arch headed recess; Font at west end, possibly c.1250 on
Romanesque base, 8 lobed bowl on circular foot with 8 attached shafts; painted
ogee shaped cover, 1623. South aisle. Monument to John Hodson, 1733 with
oredicule Warrior Chapel at east end - elaborate cartouche to Thomas Scudamore,
1718; piscina. Pevsner (1958) Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol.

Listing NGR: ST7418358400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.