This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0452 / 51°2'42"N
Longitude: 0.6352 / 0°38'6"E
OS Eastings: 584819
OS Northings: 130620
OS Grid: TQ848306
Mapcode National: GBR QWD.KD4
Mapcode Global: FRA D66C.59P
Entry Name: Great Maytham
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115477
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180363
Location: Rolvenden, Ashford, Kent, TN17
Civil Parish: Rolvenden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
ROLVENDEN MAYTHAM ROAD
TQ 8430 19/318 4.6.52.
This was the original name of the Manor but in 1721 James Monypenny built
a house here which he called Maytham Hall. This was completed by his son
Robert Monypenny in 1760 but was largely burned down in 1893. This house
consisted of a main block of 2 storeys and basement and 2 pavilions containing
the laundry and stables. These C18 wings largely survive, but the main building
was rebuilt 2 storeys higher by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1909-12 for H J Tenant,
who reverted to the use of the original name, Great Maytham. It is built
of grey bricks (all stretchers) with red brick window dressings and quotas.
Hipped tiled roof in 3 sections. Eaves cornice. Segmental headed sash windows
with glazing bars intact. The main building consists of a centre block and
2 wings (in addition to the original C18 flanking pavilions). The central
block has 5 windows and 5 dormers. Cornice above 1st floor. On its north-east
or entrance front it has 3 storeys, attic and semi-basement. The dormers
are surmounted by pediments. Central rusticated stone doorcase at the head
of 8 wide steps with iron handrail, the doorcase having a curved pediment
over containing a cartouche set in swags in the tympanum. The wings are L-shaped
of 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement, and have 5 windows each (plus one window
each to the inner face of the projection) and 3 dormers each without pediments.
Brick aprons below the 1st floor windows. Rusticated stone doorcases with
keystones over, at the head of 8 steps with iron handrails. The doorcase
of the south-east wing also has a rectangular fanlight. The south-west or
garden front has no basement. The central projection has 7 windows and 5
pedimented dormers. Stone doorcase with Corinthian pilasters, enriched frieze
and curved pediment over containing a cartouche. On each side of the central
projection are recessed portions of 3 windows and 2 dormers each, and then
projections of 2 windows and one dormer each with chimney breasts in the angles
of both Ls.
On each side a passage at semi-basement level connects the Lutyens house with
the original C18 flanking pavilions, the south-east pavilion was built as
the laundry and the north-west pavilion as the stables. Each are of 2 storeys
red brick. Hipped tiled roofs. Modillion eaves cornice. Two sashes with
glazing bars intact. Round window in the centre of the north-west pavilion.
Listing NGR: TQ8481930620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings