This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9823 / 54°58'56"N
Longitude: -1.6066 / 1°36'23"W
OS Eastings: 425276
OS Northings: 565369
OS Grid: NZ252653
Mapcode National: GBR SQ8.WL
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.916B
Entry Name: Jesmond Parish Church and Choir Vestry Attached
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304546
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: South Jesmond
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Jesmond Clayton Memorial Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ESLINGTON ROAD
(south side, off)
17/12/71 Jesmond Parish Church
and choir vestry attached.
Parish church. 1857-61 by John Dobson; vestry 1874; paid for by public subscription to
commemorate Rev. R. Clayton, a leading Evangelical. Gothic style. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roofs of Welsh slate. Aisled nave with
galleries; chancel; south porches, one in east tower; west baptistry. Western porch
has boarded double door in splayed reveals to moulded arch. Lozenge with tracery
above under steeply-pitched gable with overlapping coping and cross finial.
Eastern porch has diagonally-boarded double door in moulded and shafted opening.
Both doors have head-stopped drip mould. 4-stage tower has door between buttresses;
and niche flanked by windows in triple arcade above; clock in third stage; tall
paired 2-light belfry openings above. Corbel table to pierced parapet with open-
arched corner turrets. Aisles have 2-light windows, square-headed below and
Decorated to galleries, in gabled bays defined by buttresses with gargoyles. Large
5-light east window with Decorated tracery. 2-light square-headed baptistry windows
under head-stopped drip moulds; roll-moulded parapet coping. Interior: painted
ashlar and plaster above boarded dado with Gothic pierced frieze; Gothic-panelled
galleries; arch-braced collar-beam roof. 4 bays to nave and 2 to chancel, with an
extra north bay, have octagonal piers with flower capitals and slightly-pointed
single-chamfered arches; similar carving to shafts of roof trusses alternating
with corbels. Chancel panelling memorial to Charles Dixon, D.L.I., died 1917,
with high-relief reredos of Last Supper. Painted Gothic arcading flanking window
has pictures of saints, reaching to roof. Memorial panel to Rev. Richard
Clayton over vestry door. Square shafted font with wood cover; baptistry and
gallery fronts 1907 memorial recorded on panel with enamel roundel, to members of
Lang family. Glass by Atkinson Bros., Newcastle in south baptistry and in north
aisle; east window of north aisle has window by J.B. Capronnier, Brussels, 1886.
Bronze memorial plaque in north aisle by F. Clubb and Son, Hampstead, to R. G.
Hoare, died 1899. Perpendicular-style link to 3-sided apse of attached 2-bay
choir vestry with 2-light windows, corner shafts, gargoyles on eaves string; high
Listing NGR: NZ2527665369
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings