This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2402 / 53°14'24"N
Longitude: -2.9036 / 2°54'12"W
OS Eastings: 339793
OS Northings: 371843
OS Grid: SJ397718
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z5Z.56
Mapcode Global: WH881.CTLC
Entry Name: Backford Hall
Listing Date: 20 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115554
English Heritage Legacy ID: 55390
Location: Backford, Cheshire West and Chester, CH2
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Backford
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Backford St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHURCH LANE (WEST SIDE)
House, now Cheshire County Council Highways and Transportation
offices. 1863 by John Cunningham for E.H.Clegg in exuberant
Elizabethan Jacobean and Bohemian Rococco styles. On site of 1565
hall. Red brick with diaper work, stone plinth, quoins and dressings,
graded slate roofs. In 2 blocks joined by corridor. Hall wing has 2
storeys, attics and cellars. 3 main bays of 7 windows, symmetrically
arranged. Central porch with window set back at each side projects
from central bay which itself is set forward. Sash windows in
shouldered stone surrounds at ground level have Rococco type heads
over shell motif and stone apron. Central bay 1st floor windows below
shaped gables, alternating with smaller rounded gablets. Jacobean
style stone porch has rounded outer arch on tapered pilasters with
strap work decoration. Simpler inner arch leading to double doors at
left and right. Balcony with pierced stone parapet over porch and
adjacent bays which have similarly decorated pilasters at angles.
Tall brick stacks at gable and at sides of central bay have multiple
stone decorated flues. Moulded stone first floor bands. Crest over
windows in side bays. Left hand block, probably service wing, is
similar but plainer. 2 storeys, 6 sash windows. One window slightly
projecting bay with shaped gable at each side. Multiple flues on stack
at gable ends and on ridge. Ground floor obscured by one storey brick
wall with stone quoins and coping. One door has surround of
alternating quoins. Stone pier at left end has moulded cornice and
ball finial. Two wings are joined by 2 storey 2 window corridor.
Interior. Hall wing has heavy mouldings. Ground floor doorcases have
broken pediments and panelled doors. Open string stair C17th style.
Heavily moulded interior to glazed canopy over stair well. Pilasters
and piers in hall have strap work decoration. Elaborately moulded and
panelled ceilings, friezes and architrave adjoining ground floor
rooms, and containing sliding panelled doors. Pevsner & Hubbard;
Obit. J Cunningham in The Builder Oct.18th, (1873) p.821.
Listing NGR: SJ 39793 71843
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings