This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5342 / 52°32'3"N
Longitude: -0.7212 / 0°43'16"W
OS Eastings: 486840
OS Northings: 293691
OS Grid: SP868936
Mapcode National: GBR CTB.4GV
Mapcode Global: VHDQQ.GK3N
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116288
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187542
Location: Caldecott, Rutland, LE16
Civil Parish: Caldecott
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Caldecott St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CALDECOTT CHURCH CLOSE
10.11.55 Church of St John.
Parish church. Possibly C12 in origin, with late C13 nave arcade, C14 W tower
with spire rebuilt 1797, S porch of 1648 and chancel rebuilt 1862-3. All
severely restored and nave re-roofed 1864. Organ chamber/vestry added 1908.
Coursed ironstone rubble with some limestone to nave and aisle. Tiled roof to
nave, lead roof to S aisle, Collyweston slates to chancel, porch and vestry. W
tower, nave, S aisle with porch, chancel and vestry. W tower is of 3 stages with
angle buttresses, chamfered plinth and strings, SE stair, and restored
battlements with carved gargoyles. Octagonal spire with lucarnes. W window and
bell-chamber openings are of 2 lights with tracery and arched heads, and W
doorway has steep 4-centred moulded arch with hoodmould. Nave has clerestory of
C15 windows with 4-centred heads and hoodmoulds, 3 2-light to S, one 2-light and
one 3-light to N. Below on N side are another similar 3-light window and a C14
2-light window with tracery and arched head. Small N door in moulded 2-centred
arch. S aisle has 2 windows of c.1300, each with 2 uncusped lights and
quatrefoil above, the left with a scratched mass dial on one of the jambs. W end
of aisle has later 2-light rectangular window; E end has another C15 window of 3
cusped lights with 4-centred head. Moulded S doorway in gabled ashlar porch with
chamfered semi-circular arch. Chancel incorporates re-used windows, the S wall
with transomed lancet, small Romanesque light and rectangular traceried window,
the E wall having a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. All windows are
much restored. Vestry has blocked arch to non existent N aisle.
Interior: Tall tower arch with double chamfered arch and jambs. 3-bay S arcade,
the W arch separated from the others by a short length of wall. Arcade arches
and chancel arch are double chamfered on octagonal piers or half-shafts with
moulded capitals. SE corner of nave has remains of stairs with 4-centred archway
to former rood. Restored piscina with moulded arch and hoodmould in S aisle.
Chancel has arch to organ chamber/vestry and an aumbry in N wall, and C13 moulded
reveal to E window. In S wall are a piscina with Caernarvon arch, and good C13
sedilia with 2 chamfered arches and moulded capital to central column.
Fittings: Square stone font of c.1300 with low relief carving of blind cusped
arch on each side, deeply chamfered corners with random geometric motifs, and
moulded capitals of former shaft supports.
Listing NGR: SP8684093691
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings