This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5343 / 52°32'3"N
Longitude: -0.7201 / 0°43'12"W
OS Eastings: 486912
OS Northings: 293702
OS Grid: SP869937
Mapcode National: GBR CTB.4RL
Mapcode Global: VHDQQ.GKNL
Entry Name: Weldon House
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427390
Location: Caldecott, Rutland, LE16
Civil Parish: Caldecott
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Caldecott St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CALDECOTT UPPINGHAM ROAD
10.11.55 Weldon House.
House. C17, refronted early C19, with rear wing also much altered C19, and C19
extension. All heavily refurbished 1970s. Original block is of banded ironstone
and limestone rubble with Collyweston slate roof, coped gables, and ashlar
chimneys with moulded neckings and cornices, the right chimney with 2 square
shafts. Front was formerly rendered, the render being removed 1970s and the wall
partly rebuilt to remove traces of original C17 window surrounds. 2 storeys and
attic, 3 bays. C19 sash windows, 4-pane flanking 3-pane, in raised limestone
surrounds with keyblocks. Central C20 door with semi-circular fanlight in
similar arched surround with key and impost blocks. Very small blocked window
below eaves to left of central sash. Tall, narrow lean-to to right, possibly for
closets, with very small first floor light and traces of other blocked openings.
Right gable end has 2-light chamfered stone window with square mullion to first
floor, and chamfered attic light. Left gable also has single lights in stone
surrounds, chamfered to first floor, ovolo-moulded to attic, and C20 first floor
oriel window. Rear wing has C19 coursed ironstone wall to road, with Uppingham
stone quoins and lintel band, Collyweston slate roof and coped gables. Ashlar
chimney as on front range. 2 storeys, one bay of C20 3-light leaded casements
with shaped stone lintels and keyblocks. Similar 2-light window in blocked
doorway to left. C19 extension projecting to right is similar but with C20 door
in left return. Interior: fireplace with ovolo-moulded limestone surround in
right bay; large fireplace in left bay removed 1970s and replaced with moulded
stone fireplace from first floor; re-sited tablet dated LS 1761 in rear wing.
Re-roofed 1970s with steel frame replacing former timber structure which had
cambered collars, butt purlins and curved wind-braces.
Listing NGR: SP8691293702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings