This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.02 / 51°1'12"N
Longitude: 0.6226 / 0°37'21"E
OS Eastings: 584034
OS Northings: 127792
OS Grid: TQ840277
Mapcode National: GBR QWL.VM6
Mapcode Global: FRA D66F.0CQ
Entry Name: Lossenham Manor
Listing Date: 4 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1116351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 180296
Location: Newenden, Ashford, Kent, TN18
Civil Parish: Newenden
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
NEWENDEN LOSSENHAM LANE
TQ 82 NW 11/244 4.11.77.
A house of Carmelite Friars was founded here in 1241 by Sir Thomas Aliber
or Fitz Ancher. It was dissolved in 1536. The present building is of 2 parallel
ranges. The back range is timber framed and was built by Sir John Colepepper
in 1628 but has been refaced with red brick in the C18. The front range dates
mainly from the C18, but the easternmost window bay was probably added in
the early C19. Two storeys and attics red brick on a stone base. Four windows
facing south. The easternmost window bay has a parapet. The remainder has
a stone stringcourse and an eaves cornice of brick cogging and moulded wood,
except the centre window bay which projects and has a stone stringcourse above
the 1st floor also, and a blunt C19 gable containing 2 attic windows and one
window space. One gabled dormer on each side of this. Mansard tiled roof.
Vertical glazing bars only intact. Wide stone porch with Doric columns and
triglyph frieze. At the south-east corner is a red brick wall at right angles
to the house having a brick pier at each end and one in the centre, all surmounted
by ball caps. Interior contains some C18 fireplaces and one room with exposed
beams probably of early C17 date.
Listing NGR: TQ8403427792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings