This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4008 / 51°24'2"N
Longitude: -1.4504 / 1°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 438327
OS Northings: 167005
OS Grid: SU383670
Mapcode National: GBR 70H.03Y
Mapcode Global: VHC20.T12Z
Plus Code: 9C3WCG2X+8R
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 6 February 1962
Last Amended: 21 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39727
Location: Kintbury, West Berkshire, RG17
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Kintbury
Built-Up Area: Kintbury
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Kintbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 36 NE
Church of St. Mary
(Formerly listed under Kintbury)
Church. Originally C12, Tower C13, restored extensively 1850 and 1880 by Bodley and Garner. Flint with Bath stone dressings, mainly rendered except on chancel, part of tower and south porch. South transept brick with Bath stone dressings. Tiled roof with stone coped gable parapets. Cruciform plan with west tower and south porch.
Tower: Square with corner buttresses, three short stages with stone string courses and gargoyles at parapet base. Top stage of chequer pattern stone and flint on south face with clock face over louvre. West door in Norman-style with billet and chevron moulds. Sundial on south west buttress.
Nave: C19, Decorated-style windows flanking C19 Norman-style south porch.
South transept: C18 rebuild in brick, parapet with stone string and coping, three-light Decorated-style window under two-centred arched drip mould.
Chancel: C19 Decorated-style windows flanking central door.
Interior: simple five bay painted C19 roof to Nave and three bay Chancel. North transept has pair of marble pyramidal monuments on east wall with busts in classical Roman style to Jemmet Raymond 1767 and Sir Jemmet Raymond of Barton 1754. Surmounted by a bracketed cornice with busts flanking an urn and hanging drapery. To north of Chancel Arch in Nave is a white marble monument on black ground, a rectangular panel with cornice and urn surmount, to Charles Dundas Baron Amesbury 1832, ground inscribed "Patent Works Westminster" to south of Chancel Arch in Nave is rectangular gothic-style marble monument to Rev. Fulwar Craven Fowle 1840. To north of Chancel Arch in Chancel is monument to Philip Emnett esq. 1678, a black oval panel surrounded by white carved flowers, fruit and swags with a cherub's head at the base and surmounted by two cherubs flanking a scutcheon with ribbon scroll between deaths heads beneath a crested helm. South wall of chancel has brass to John and Alice Gunter of 1624, two figures above inscription panel. Three C18 memorial tablets on west wall of south transept. Painted and gilded carved timber reredos in gothic-style central panel depicting crucifixion flanked by double panels with painted central scutcheons all surmounted by carved cornice. Tower has re-used C17 stair with turned balusters leading to gallery.
Listing NGR: SU3832767005
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings