History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse and flanking blocks at former Douai School

A Grade II Listed Building in Woolhampton, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4082 / 51°24'29"N

Longitude: -1.1713 / 1°10'16"W

OS Eastings: 457736

OS Northings: 168008

OS Grid: SU577680

Mapcode National: GBR 939.QP8

Mapcode Global: VHCZF.NV4W

Plus Code: 9C3WCR5H+7F

Entry Name: Gatehouse and flanking blocks at former Douai School

Listing Date: 10 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1117269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39689

Location: Woolhampton, West Berkshire, RG7

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Woolhampton

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Woolhampton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU 56 NE
3/14 Gatehouse And Flanking
Blocks At Douai School


Gatehouse and flanking school buildings. 1893-5 by F A Walters in a neo-Gothic
style. Red brick with stone dressings, plinth, corbel table and coped battle-
mented parapet; roof not visible. Free Perpendicular style. Gatehouse tower:
3 storeys. First and second floor windows with 2 cusped lights, those on
second floor arched with hoodmoulds, flanking 2 canopied niches with figures.
Central moulded 4-centered archway with hoodmould, and carved coats of arms to
each side above. 2 short brick walls projecting to each side with stone coping,
square piers, and finials with carved coats of arms topped by lamps. Left-hand
block: red brick with stone dressings and brick cill course; tiled roof with
central ridge stack and parapetted gabled semi-dormer to left with casement.
2 1/2 storeys. Three 2-light windows on each floor; first floor 2-light 4-centered
arched window to left with transom and Y-tracery. Right-hand block: red brick
with cill courses; tiled roof, and 2 gables with planted timbers and casements.
2 storeys and attic. 2 canted bays rising to first floor with coped parapets,
and mullioned and transomed windows. These buildings were built originally
for St. Mary's College. BOE; Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural
Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.

Listing NGR: SU5773668008

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.