This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3792 / 51°22'45"N
Longitude: -1.1442 / 1°8'39"W
OS Eastings: 459657
OS Northings: 164807
OS Grid: SU596648
Mapcode National: GBR 93Q.KHT
Mapcode Global: VHCZN.3LYK
Entry Name: Aldermaston Court
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39498
Location: Aldermaston, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Aldermaston
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Aldermaston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ALDERMASTON CHURCH ROAD (south side)
SU 56 SE
6/25 Aldermaston Court
House. 1636, rebuilt except for staircase in 1848-51 by P.C. Hardwick, with
further additions dated 1894 on rainwater heads. Red brick with grey diapering,
stone dressings, string courses, mullioned and transomed windows, coped parapet,
gables with footstones, kneelers and capstones; slate roofs with 8 stacks con-
sisting of moulded round shafts with octagonal bases and oversailing caps.
Tower to west: 4 stages. Brick and stone panelled flushwork, shafted corners
with carved figures; battlemented parapet to squat double-pitch slate spire with
3 cusped lights on each face and lucanes on concave top stage with ball finial.
6 arched lights with clock above on each face of top stage, 3 and one light
windows onfirst and second stages. Main house on irregular L-plan with service
wing to north. Free Elizabethan style. East Front. Wing projecting to left:
canted 2 storey bay rising to battlemented parapet and 6-light window in gable
above, stack to right with 4 shafts. Return wall to right: gable to left with
2-light window, two 3-light first floor windows below flanking 6-light window,
carved coat of arms on ground floor with hoodmould and flanking 2-light first
floor windows and one-light top windows. 2 gabled dormers to right and two 8-
light first floor windows below. Projecting ground floor with buttresses and two
8-light windows. Central block: 2 gabled dormers and ridge stack to left with
4 shafts, four 6-light first floor windows below and one 4-light and one 2-light
ground floor windows to left, Half octagonal porch to right with buttresses, 4-
centered arches with carved spandrels and battlemented parapet; brick vault
inside with stone ribs on foliated capitals, mosaic floor, 4-centered archway with
2 doors, stone plaque to left and 4-light window to right with stained glass.
Block to right projecting with gable and 3-light window, larger gable behind
with planted timbers and decorated barge boards. 17-light first floor window and
ground floor square bay with 14-light window. Asymmetrically gabled service wing
to right. Forecourt walls to east with arched balustrade and square corner piers.
South front: symmetrical except for stacks. Projecting wings to right and left
with square ground floor bays rising to canted bays on first floor with battle-
mented parapet. Gables above with 2-light windows and stacks with 2 shafts on
inner faces. Central canted bay with 4-centered arched doorway with carved
spandrels and half galzed doors, rising to smaller first floor canted bay with
battlemented parapet and gable above with 6-light window flanked by stacks with
2 shafts. 9-light ground floor windows flanking central bay with first floor
cross windows and stepped 3-light windows in gables above. West front: canted bay
to right rising to smaller first floorbay with parapet and finial rising up into
gable flanked by 2-light windows. Gabled dormer to left with 9-light window,
irregular staircase window below. Canted bay to left rising to first floor with
battlemented parapet and 6-light windows, gable above with 2-light window. Arched
doorway to left with steps and arched side lights, gabled dormer above to right
of ridge stack with 5 shafts. Projecting block to left with 8-light ground floor
window, 6-light first floor window and 2-light window in gable. Asymmetrically
gabled service wing to left. Interior: 6 flight square well staircase of circa
1636; pierced balustrade with grotesques, mythical beasts, coats of arms etc;
carved newel posts topped by allegorical figures. Good C19 interiors including
double-height panelled entrance hall with arches and balustrading to landing at
West and south, and fireplace to south with 4-centered arch and carved spandrels
and figures. Library to south contains some C16 heraldic glass from earlier house.
Corridor to east contains C19 stain glass of saints by A. L. Moore. Other rooms
include the drawing room and dinning room. The C19 house was built for Daniel
Highford Burr. The C17 staircase is an excellant and rare example of its type,
being one of the earliest to have a pierced parapet rather than balusters.
Extensive grounds include remains of C19 planting and 2 ornamental lakes. VCH, Vol
3, P. 386; Boil, Berkshire, p. 62; Country Life, xxii, p 54 and vi, p. 240.
Listing NGR: SU5965764807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings