History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Catherine Bearwood

A Grade II Listed Building in Winnersh, Wokingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.416 / 51°24'57"N

Longitude: -0.8792 / 0°52'45"W

OS Eastings: 478035

OS Northings: 169150

OS Grid: SU780691

Mapcode National: GBR C6C.0KD

Mapcode Global: VHDX1.QN1V

Plus Code: 9C3XC48C+C8

Entry Name: Church of St. Catherine Bearwood

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41477

Location: Winnersh, Wokingham, RG41

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Winnersh

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Winnersh

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/11/2019

SU 76 NE

BEARWOOD ROAD (east side)
Church of St. Catherine Bearwood

(Formerly listed as Church of St Catherine Bear Wood)



Parish Church. 1846 by J.H. Good, in early Decorated style. Bath stone ashlar, tiled coped gable roofs, lower over chancel, buttressed walls, reticulated two-light windows. Nave, chancel, vestry on north, square bell tower on west with two-centred arched entrance and doors. Moulded plinth, lower moulded string course doubled on tower, coved and moulded eaves with varied carved faces, animal heads, and leaf clusters spaced regularly.

Tower: two stages; four stage buttresses, two on each corner at right angles to each other, four-sided splayed stair tower on south adjoining nave and reaching height of string course of second stage; Cornice detail similar to nave.

Interior: four-bay nave, two-bay chancel with arched braced collar roof, two side purlins and thin wind braces, springing from slim engaged columns in nave walls with moulded heads and bases. Moulded plaster angels on top of left hand wall between principal trusses, those on right hand wall missing. Wooden pulpit with carved panels and cusped tracery heads. Stone font with trefoil panels and moulded top. Stained glass in chancel and in window over organ gallery by Wailes.

Monument: on north wall of chancel, a white marble tablet to John Balston Walter who drowned while trying to rescue his brother and cousin who died in the frozen lake at Bear Wood on Christmas Eve 1870. The bottom part of the tablet depicts the frozen lake in carved relief.

Listing NGR: SU7803569150

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.