This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.704 / 50°42'14"N
Longitude: -2.6076 / 2°36'27"W
OS Eastings: 357190
OS Northings: 89549
OS Grid: SY571895
Mapcode National: GBR PT.49S9
Mapcode Global: FRA 57F6.V8M
Entry Name: Kingston Russell House
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1118704
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105242
Location: Kingston Russell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Kingston Russell
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Long Bredy St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 58 NE KINGSTON RUSSELL LOWER KINGSTON RUSSELL
3/123 Kingston Russell House
Country House in formal-garden. Late C17 for John Michel III, and early C18
west front remodelled, perhaps by Francis Cartwright of Blandford for John
Michel IV. North and south wings built from 1913 by Philip Tilden for George
Gribble. North-east wing demolished late C19. Portland ashlar stone walls,
with a balustraded stone parapet (C18). Lead roofs. Stone stacks. East
front, 2 storeys and cellars, original house is 9 bays wide. Large 2-light
mullion windows with double transoms, all hollow-chamfered. Fixed lead lights,
and some opening metal casements. Bays 7 and 8 have inserted single-light
windows. Moulded cornice over ground and first floor windows. Doorway at centre
with moulded stone architrave and large stone volute brackets with foliage feet.
Swan-necked open pediment with scroll terminals. 2-leaf door with fielded panels
at bottom and fully glazed above, C19. Interrupted fenestration at north end,
inserted after east wing demolished. West front: remodelled in 7 bays, with
central 3 contained within a giant Ionic pilaster order with entablature and
pediment. Round-headed sashes, set deep in wall face, with stone cills on volute
brackets. Outer sashes, with glazing-bars, segmental heads with square stone
architraves, stone cills, bracketed. Front doorway at centre, with moulded eared
architrave, plain frieze and pediment carried on scroll brackets. Fielded-panel
doorway, 10 panels. 8 stone steps up to front door with stone sides and fielded-
panel corner piers. Ball-finials. Extension to house at north and south end, C20.
One bay, though 3 storeys under same parapet level in coursed dressed stone. Sashes
with glazing-bars, in ascending order, square-headed, segment-headed and round-
headed. Mullion-and-transom on end walls. Canted bay at north end with stone cap,
containing 2 storeys. South end wall has a stone-framed doorway with a central
volute bracket supporting a cornice. Interior: Single-depth house with rear
corridor. Entrance hall totally re-decorated in manner of William Kent, by
Mrs Vestey 1939, including fireplace and overmantel, moulded overmantel with
swan-necked open pediment and urn at centre. Dining Room with early C19 scenic
Chinese wallpaper, installed C20. Rear corridor, with slender reeded pilasters,
becoming fronds in stucco under the coving. C18 fielded panelling survives in
Drawing Room and upstairs bedrooms. Thomas Masterman Hardy born here in 1759.
J L Motley, American Ambassador died here in 1877.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.127 (1). A Oswald, Kingston Russell House, in Country Life,
Listing NGR: SY5719089549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings