This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5579 / 51°33'28"N
Longitude: -0.1022 / 0°6'7"W
OS Eastings: 531660
OS Northings: 186037
OS Grid: TQ316860
Mapcode National: GBR GJ.GX7
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.53VK
Entry Name: East Stand at Highbury Stadium
Listing Date: 16 July 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469189
Location: Islington, London, N5
Electoral Ward/Division: Highbury West
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Thomas the Apostle Finsbury Park
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3186 SE AVENELL ROAD, N5
635-1/24/10088 East Stand at Highbury Stadium
Football stand. 1936 by William Binnie with small extension in matching style to south of cl990. Steel,reinforced concrete, brick faced with cement; roof of corrugated metal. Two tier stand of steel construction attached to a block for administration, reception and players' quarters. 5 storeys at the level of the pitch, 4 to Avenell Road. The entrance front in Avenell Road is of 13 bays, the central bay wider, the outer 2 narrower and lower. Ground floor of black and yellow brick with steps up to central entrance in projecting rendered bay flanked by lamp standards; moulded black marble surround to flat-arched entrance under simplified entablature carrying emblem of the club; 2 sets of original entrance doors, the first of metal openwork, the second glazed with chrome door furniture. The bay rises through the first and second floors canted in plan, and topped by a panel with the field gun emblem modelled in cement. First, second and third floors cement-rendered, with symmetrical window ranges to either side, the windows in 4 rank divided by plain mullions and set in stepped inset panels; 2 outer bays narrower and without mullions, and narrow windows flanking the central porch bay. Central 3 bays between second and third floors have lettering ARSENAL STADIUM. Third floor has low horizontal windows with metal grilles set in stepped inset panels. Parapet topped by railings. 4 sets of 1930s rainwaterheads and 2 flagstaffs set in original brackets at third floor level. North and south elevations one bay wide, tripartite window set within stepped inset panel. Seen from the pitch, the structure is carried on steel columns, the outer pair more substantial, 5 inner columns supporting the upper tier, 2 extending to the roof Upper tier has decorative stepped cement-rendered balcony and original glazing to sides. Reinforced concrete steppings to each tier. Roof of unequal pitch with awning to front; the steelwork of the roof masked by a fascia of corrugated metal with emblems of the club and flagstaffs attached.
INTEROR,: vestibule has terrazzo floor with emblems of the club, ceiling decorated with stepped inset panels, bronze bust by Epstein of Herbert Chapman and staircase with stepped balustrading and chrome and hardwood rails. First floor landing has terrazzo floor and field-gun emblem. Directors' Cocktail Lounge has modelled figure of a naked athlete in a stepped niche, replaced from its original position in the Ladies Lounge. Passage between landing and boardroom fully panelled. Boardroom is fully panelled with inlaid detail and bolection-moulded fireplace with stepped inset panels to the ceiling. This room was extended by a quarter in 1990 with matching details. Several original oak doors.
Listing NGR: TQ3166086037
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings