History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hythe Town Reservoir

A Grade II Listed Building in Hythe, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0737 / 51°4'25"N

Longitude: 1.0903 / 1°5'25"E

OS Eastings: 616582

OS Northings: 135031

OS Grid: TR165350

Mapcode National: GBR V0M.LGF

Mapcode Global: FRA F658.W0T

Entry Name: Hythe Town Reservoir

Listing Date: 13 May 1998

Last Amended: 24 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1119742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469265

Location: Hythe, Shepway, Kent, CT21

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: Hythe

Built-Up Area: Hythe

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Hythe

Listing Text

TR 13 NE HYTHE

6/10000 Hythe Town Reservoir

II

Covered reservoir. Dated 1868. Classical style covering building of ashlar ragstone with red brick dressings and roof now covered in corrugated tin. T-shaped and aligned roughly east-west.
The long walls are of dressed ragstone with plinth, brick margins and pilasters but the inner skin is of brick and rubble stone mixed. Barrel-vaulted roof but wall-head mutilated when the roof was replaced so may have been pitched originally. At the east end is a small porch, primarily of brick with dressed ragstone ashlar used for side walls. This has stone pediment, pilasters and recessed panels of alternate brick and stone and central entrance with flat arch, voussoirs and plank door. The whole internal area is occupied by the reservoir tank which is about three metres deep. The reservoir walls are built in brick and rendered. The interior of the main range is sub-divided by two cross walls with large segmantal arch spans in the centres making the tank one large space. Similar cross walls separate at the short wings at the western end from the main range. Water appears to have entered the tank directly from springs through two or three pipes at its eastern end and left from a single pipe in the bottom of the south western wing. These fittings are reported to be still present but appear to be of quite modern date. This reservoir was on the site of an old Tan Pit and the water came from a spring on land owned by Henry Bean Mackeson, Maltster, who claimed a right to the water. Agreement was reached in 1868 by which the Hythe Corporation became entitled to one half of the yield and the other half became the property of the Landowner who used it in his brew. This arrangement continued until the brewery closed.

Listing NGR: TR1658235031

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.