This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9567 / 50°57'24"N
Longitude: -0.2132 / 0°12'47"W
OS Eastings: 525590
OS Northings: 118992
OS Grid: TQ255189
Mapcode National: GBR JM9.T3J
Mapcode Global: FRA B6FL.4RM
Entry Name: The Granary at New House Farm
Listing Date: 19 June 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469328
Location: Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Albourne, Sayers Common and Twineham
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 21 NE TWINEHAM
1144/19/10040 The Granary at
New House Farm
Cart-shed with granary over. C18 reusing some earlier (probably C17) stone; alterations C19, including addition of outshut and stone steps, and C20. Coursed Wealden sandstone, paler and in larger blocks below continuous 1st-floor stone ledge, uppermost section having bands of red stretcher bricks; C20 weatherboard to returns and gables; outshut of flint and some brick with red-brick quoins. Half-hipped roof of plain clay tiles. Farmyard (north) elevation: 2 storeys, 2 bays. Right bay mostly masked by outshut; end of iron tie to right. Left bay: flight of stone steps on brick base leading up to entrance platform; entrance has C20 board door rising through caves under weather-board gable and notches in threshold from former wooden stair. Rear: chamfered plinth. Near right end, below ledge, is re-set datestone with well-carved relief lettering, "1612" and ?"1574RB". End of tie-rod to left. Central C20 brick buttress. Timber wall-plate; rafter feet visible. Two late C20 roof-lights. Returns: originally open on ground floor; 1st floors have C20 weatherboard and gable windows. Left return has large stone quoins, right return C20 brick piers at sides. Left return ground floor now with wide stable door on left and C20 weatherboard and window to right. Interior: Large-scantling cross-beams resting on wooden plates; original joists and wide floor-boards with trap door in left (east) bay; stone ledge below 1st-floor, as on outside. Granary walls lined with boards; former lath-and-plaster ceiling removed; part of former central board partition remains; door frame has mortices to receive base board. Central collared principal rafter truss; original rafters with collards to receive former laths. The 1st-floor ledge was designed to prevent rats etc gaining access to the granary. A well-built C18 granary re-using earlier materials.
Listing NGR: TQ2559018992
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings