This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4621 / 51°27'43"N
Longitude: -0.5726 / 0°34'21"W
OS Eastings: 499255
OS Northings: 174644
OS Grid: SU992746
Mapcode National: GBR F8V.61K
Mapcode Global: VHFTH.1J30
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Andrew
Listing Date: 10 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469361
Location: Old Windsor, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Old Windsor
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Old Windsor
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU97SE CHURCH ROAD
599-1/14/12 (South side)
10/08/51 Church of St Peter and St Andrew
Parish church. Early C13, chancel and nave partly rebuilt mid
C14. Restored 1863-4 by Sir Gilbert Scott, north chancel
aisle, south porch and spire added at the same time.
MATERIALS: flint with stone and chalk dressings; old tile
gabled roof, shingled broach spire.
PLAN: continuous nave and chancel, north chancel aisle, west
tower and spire; south porch.
EXTERIOR: tower: one-stage buttresses each with one offset at
the extreme angles. 3 lancets at the ground stage. 4 single
light windows to the bell-chamber, one on each wall, the south
window is 4-centred, the other pointed. Over the west window
of the ringing chamber is a small square-headed light. C19
door on west face with pointed-arched head.
Nave, north side: 4, square-headed windows, C14 but restored;
the window on the left is of 3-lights, the other windows
2-light. All are divided by mullions carried through to the
head into trefoiled lights with a trefoil in the head of each
division. There is part of an old brick relieving arch visible
between the second and third windows.
Nave, south side: windows similar in design and arrangement to
those on the north side. Between the second and third windows
is the gabled porch; timber-framed with a scissor braced roof;
bench seats and cusped side panelling above a solid panelled
dado. Pointed and chamfered chalk arch behind with C19 plank
Chancel aisle, north side: a 2-light window similar to those
in the nave, to the west of which is a pointed doorway. The
east window is of 3-lights and the west window 2-lights, both
are C19. At the angles of the north wall are square
Chancel, south side: a 3-light window of similar design to
those on the nave. To the left of this a lancet and a small
door in a pointed arched opening.
INTERIOR: 2 bay C19 arcade opening into the chancel aisle from
the chancel. C19 crown post, collar purlin roof. One large
aumbry on either side of the altar. Early C17 font, octagonal
with moulded stem; the upper part panelled with quatrefoiled
arches, in which are leaves and symbolic devices.
Some pieces of C14 glass remain in the head of the easternmost
window in the north wall of the nave and the window west of
this. There is also similar glass in the westernmost window of
the south wall and in the head of the easternmost window of
the south wall of the nave.
(Victoria County History: Vol III: 83; Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1975-: 189).
Listing NGR: SU9925574644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings