This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4608 / 51°27'39"N
Longitude: -0.5733 / 0°34'23"W
OS Eastings: 499213
OS Northings: 174505
OS Grid: SU992745
Mapcode National: GBR F8T.CW7
Mapcode Global: VHFTH.0JSZ
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 3 March 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119806
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469362
Location: Old Windsor, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Old Windsor
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Old Windsor
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU97SE CHURCH ROAD
599-1/14/14 (South side (off))
03/03/72 The Priory
House. Mid C18, altered in late C19 or early C20. Built for
Richard Bateman, a friend of Horace Walpole pioneer of the
"Sharawagge" or Chinoiserie style. Constructed in the 1740s
but modified in Gothic style in 1759 when a cloister (since
demolished) was added by Richard Bentley; further altered in
1761-2 when a Gothic octagon room was added to designs by
Johann Heinrich Muntz. Red brick with stone dressings; tile
roof with end brick chimneystacks.
EXTERIOR: front of 2 parallel ranges; 2 storeys, 7 windows,
the 3 at each side in full height canted bays, now with late
C19 windows. Stone coped brick parapet has tall open arch with
pyramidal finial over the centre of both bays. 2 steps to
replaced central glazed door, recessed in plain reveal. Side
elevation has projecting 2 bay brick wing with parapet having
panels of intersecting circles, late C19 casements and French
windows to ground floor. Large early C20 Jacobean style porch
with Tuscan columns and strapwork decoration to frieze. To
left is 4 bay single storey brick extension with stone coping
pilasters and four 12-pane windows leading to octagonal brick
garden room with slate roof and 3 French windows.
INTERIOR: the principal interior is the octagon room, designed
by Johann Heinrich Muntz in the Gothic style. Ceiling of
narrow ribs with plastered tracery supported on half columns
cut off at dado level. 4 centred ashed fireplace with green
marble lining and Gothic frieze and pilasters. Walls have
patterns of large arches and smaller ogees. Doorcase to former
cloisters has traceried top half. Entrance hall has ogee
arched fireplace. Ground floor rooms have Edwardian panelling.
Room to side of entrance porch has Georgian style fireplace
with eared architraves, dado panelling, elaborate plastered
ceiling with fruit and flowers motifs and heavy brackets. C18
6 panelled door.
HISTORY: in Richard Bateman's time the house was called The
(The Origins of the Gothic Revival: McCarthy M: "Windsor Old
and New": Yale University Press: 1981-).
Listing NGR: SU9921374505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings